any one looking for a ship wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These pictures (and my map) show a beach womewhat north of the point. its about a mile from the beach to the point. the waves in these pictures were much milder than i saw while there.

Pt San Pedro is getting kinda beat right now.

Thanks for checking it out and sending those great pix. One thing is for sure, it better be dead calm before I/We attempt to do that area, from what those pixs show. I think I'll look into when the ocean is traditionally calmest. and talk to my bud with a boat. There is a lot of shorline there, so locating the exact point is a must if there is any chance of finding her.

Lived in Pacifica through High Scholl and dove the waters off of San Pedro. If you go south from San Francisco on PCH you will reach Pacifica which hugs the coast line and ends at where Devils Slide begins. The Beach of San Pedro is long and beautiful, look for the Taco Bell on the beach side of the highway. Go into the Taco Bell and order a coke (suger free or regular..either one) walk outside and look south-west. As your eyes scan the cliffs you will look out at that point and just off that point is your shipwreck. You will quickly surmise that the point would be terribly dangerous for ships (and divers) with its jagged rock formations and exposure to rogue waves. It is believed that several ships looking for the opening of the SF bay mistook the half-moon shaped beach as the entrance in the fog and paid the price. Here is the sad news, several of my friends actually found a calm day to dive the point safely, what is left of the wreck is mostly wooden beams strewn across the bottom. The wreck is not discernable and no artifacts have been raised to my knowledge. This information is 20 years old and I have since lost track of the divers who actually made it to the site. If you get a real flat day you can walk out along the cliff bottom and don your dive gear and swim out to the wreck from what I can tell. I have dove below the cliffs but never had the opportunity of making it around to the tip of the last rock at the point where the shipwreck debris is located. Who knows? Someone may actually find something interesting there especially if they get an extremely flat calm day with perhaps jet skis to help access. There is a boat launch adjacent to the cliffs

Classiclad

Back
Top Bottom