Any News on the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is a group out here in so-cal working on sicking 3 wrecks they do need help i will find out more info about the group re post it here and do the man made reefs one of the guys that has been working on it planes for most of the wrecks to lay in 100 fsw i think one at 130 150 i will find out more info and post it

mike_s:
That and I'm sure there would be enough water displacement suction that you would have a hard time getting away from the wreck in the event of an emergency.

i recently ran across some discovery channel show that claimed this was a myth and that a lot of survivors of sinkings had basically stepped off the last bit of a wreck as it went down, with no suction issues... (don't remember what show it was, i wasn't paying that close of attention, but that factoid wedged itself into my brain...)

I actually thought about that same episode about the myth as I typed that. They used a farily small boat though. I'm sure an Aircraft Carrier's "displacement" would still cause some "suction". Too bad they didn't think to test this as part of the sinking. I mean, how often do you sink an aircraft carrier?

I mean besides the one that was sunk in testing 30+ years ago, the last ones that were sunk were in WWII.

lamont:
i recently ran across some discovery channel show that claimed this was a myth and that a lot of survivors of sinkings had basically stepped off the last bit of a wreck as it went down, with no suction issues... (don't remember what show it was, i wasn't paying that close of attention, but that factoid wedged itself into my brain...)
That show is Myth Busters...the best show on the Discovery Channel.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html

I think I saw the show you were talking about... it was more about the bermueda triangle and they did a lot of scale models in a giant indoor tank and then did something where they sunk, or tried, a boat using air bubbles from a PVC matrix. I could just be confusing shows since i spend way to much time watching discovery channel and the history channel (esp when it involves water).

Actually both those shows did something.

Mythbusters had some small metal tug looking boat and put one of the people on the show on the boat in scuba gear and then sunk the boat beside the pier several times.

The bermuda triangle show showed the sinking of a boat by reducing the bouyancy with air bubbles (through the distribution of PVC pipes). This was to test if "large volumes of bubbles" from something like methane gas releases was enough to sink ships in the Bermuda Triangle.

(or at least that's my memory of it).

no, this was just some show on hollywood movies and "titanic" was one of them, and they commented on staying on a ship till the last second not being a bad way to play it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom