Any News on the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heard on the "other" dive board that she cleared the bay channel at about 1300 today, so is enroute the site. Sounds good so far.

Yep. it's all in the news media that she was towed out to sea today.

As far as they are saying the sinking is still on for May 17th. expect it to start EARLy in the morning.

mike_s:
Yep. it's all in the news media that she was towed out to sea today.

As far as they are saying the sinking is still on for May 17th. expect it to start EARLy in the morning.
Good to hear any idea as to how long it will take the coast guard to secure it before they allow divers on it?
My instructor jokes around that he wants to dive it while it's still on his way down...

They intend to take 48 hours to 72 hours before they allow diving on it. I think the Navy is securiing it though (for safe diving), not the Coast Guard.

However, the Coast Guard is enforcing a "1 mile no entrance zone" while it's out there being readied for sinking, the sinking, and until the boat is cleared for diving.

My instructor jokes around that he wants to dive it while it's still on his way down...

I guess it would be kinda cool to be standing on the flight deck (in your gear) and "ride" it down. Could be kinda danergous too though. especially if it "flipped" in any way. That and I'm sure there would be enough water displacement suction that you would have a hard time getting away from the wreck in the event of an emergency.

Hopefully they'll mount some cameras on the deck tower, props, etc to film it going down. now that would be cool. The DISCOVERY CHANNEL is supposed to be there to film the sinking .

mike_s:
Hopefully they'll mount some cameras on the deck tower, props, etc to film it going down. now that would be cool. The DISCOVERY CHANNEL is supposed to be there to film the sinking .

I heard somewhere that the Navy will have cameras on board and that the video of the sinking will be released to public domain within a short time.

I can't confirm this at this time though.

Cave Diver:
I heard somewhere that the Navy will have cameras on board and that the video of the sinking will be released to public domain within a short time.

I can't confirm this at this time though.
That would be absoluly awesome...I love the discovery channel.

brutus_scuba:
That would be absoluly awesome...I love the discovery channel.

If everything goes as planned, I will be onsite for the sinking. I'll try to post pics when we return.

BTW... I can't remember what show it was going to be on for the Discovery channel. I might have been "MEGA MOVERS". I'm sure it'll take 2-4 months to get it edited, produced, etc and for us to see it on TV. It might be on the History channel also as that's part of the Discovery network.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom