Any new recommendations/experiences in West Palm-Boynton area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, I have no problem loading and setting up my own gear, although I can't offhand remember a charter boat anywhere where the folks didn't at least offer to assist, even if it was just letting you hand tanks or gear bags onto the boat, where they would then place them on the racks.

I do have a problem with the ramp. Maybe it's being an ER doc, or maybe it's being someone who has broken a LOT of bones, but a ramp some 8 or 10 feet long, supported by a plastic step stool on a boat (boats move) and with no handrail or cable or anything to steady people carrying heavy loads is a recipe for a fall and an injury to me, and it amazes me that, in today's litigious environment, someone hasn't worried about that and figured out a way to make it safer.

I did enjoy the seating area in the parking lot, and the rinse tubs, and the folks in the shop were very nice. And the diving was fabulous.

Just a follow up to thank all who offerred suggestions. We originally made reservations with JAS, but we were then only ones scheduled for Sunday pm, so we switched to Narcosis. Had two fun dives complete with nurse sharks, a turtle, a goliath grouper and all the usual reef fish. We were going to be with JAS again on Monday, but the boat was down for maintenance, so they switched us over to Bob Walker's boat. Great staff, we were treated really well, but it was too windy and choppy to dive safely, so we had a nice boat ride instead. Tuesday (today) we dove the BHB, which is another thread. So, our 2011 WPB area diving is over, but we had a great time and met some great people. Turks and Caicos is next!

Thanks again all,

Mike

The third day we dove out of Jupiter Dive Center, and I had some significant issues with them. The ramp you use to board and exit the boat is not secured, either at the dock end or on the boat. It has no hand rails. The crew did not help load or unload gear, so we were walking heavy equipment up a steep metal ramp with no way to help stabilize ourselves. The fall was about 10 feet to mud. In addition, the crew while on the boat did not assist divers from their stations to the swim step, or up the ladder and back onto the boat, nor did they relieve divers of things like cameras before reboarding. I wasn't impressed.

It's funny you say that. I have been diving with JDC once a year for the last 5 years. My first experience with them was not so great and similar to your experience. I gave them another chance and had much better experiences since them. Like a lot of places, it can depend on the boat crew for that day/dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom