Any "new" diver heating ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xfrogcls92

Registered
Reaction score
Travel and work worldwide, test in the Florida Key
# of dives
Has anybody seen or heard of any new diver heating ideas for inside a drysuit. Vests, pads or inner garment.
I am looking for something lightweight, thin, reliable, controllable, NEW.

For those who will recommend a search of the archives here, thank you in advance.

If it's been posted here in the past we know about it. We are looking for something new and innovative.

Thanks

My GUE instructor Bob Sherwood had a vest that was heated but I don't know the brand or manufacturer. I was at the DUI demo on Saturday and they had some new heated undergarments but I did not demo it.

I just did a search online and found this but I don't recall Bob's battery pack being that big.

Q-Vest - Drysuit Heating system

Bob is currently testing DUI heated undergarments (vests, pants, even gloves). They aren't commercially available yet from DUI.

There are a number of manufacturers now of heated vests. Dive-Xtras carries one, as does Golem Gear. There are others as well. All the decent ones (external batteries, decent runtimes, and ability to function even while/after getting wet) cost a fair amount.

Hopefully as more players enter the market, quality and choices will rise, while prices will drop.

My GUE instructor Bob Sherwood had a vest that was heated but I don't know the brand or manufacturer. I was at the DUI demo on Saturday and they had some new heated undergarments but I did not demo it.

I just did a search online and found this but I don't recall Bob's battery pack being that big.

Q-Vest - Drysuit Heating system

A few of different systems exist. For example this one

santi%20zoom.jpg

or this

ocieplacz%20rozpiety.jpg

You can find more images there Witaj na prywatnym forum Dive Trek Group :: Zobacz temat - Ogrzewanie okiem kamery termowizyjnej

I have (to my dismay) two buddies that rave about the BTS heating vest. I would not be surprised if Bob is using one as well. It is paired with a canister battery that is typically interchangeable with those used on a canister light.

DUI also has a prototype system that includes heated hands and feet. It is in a beta stage but uses two batteries that are not interchangeable with those of a canister light. At it's current stage it has more wires but (I am told) is notably warmer. The system has several heat settings.

Santi also makes a heating vest that is somewhat longer than the BTS vest and incorporates 200 thinsulate. Like the BTS vest, the Santi vest uses a canister battery.

OMG.... $980..... I'll stick to the sodium acetate heating pads for $10 thanks.

What I find works well is to layer your thermals. In the winter I wear 3 layers. A thin thermal underwear, a light-weight undersuit about the thickness of a jogging suit that I would wear for example if the water is >15C and the ski-suit one. Of course you can't over-do this or you'll limit your mobility, which you clearly don't want so what works for me might not work for everyone.

In any case, over all that I sometimes wear a old shirt with pockets sewn in for the heating pads and presto. The only thing that gets cold in say a dive from 45 min in 2C water are my hands and toes.

Obviously, dive times are limited as a function of the temperature. In the winter we never make 90 minute dives like we do in the summer. Maybe you could with a fancy-dancy vest that costs as much as a diving holiday, but personally I'm happy enough to shorten up my dives a bit and actually go on the diving holiday. YYMV.

R..

from what I hear DUI is in the process of releasing a new type of full body heated suit.

Heated glove liners
Heater feet liners
Heated back, from waist to top of the shoulders.

There is a new inlet valve, that has the plugs for the electrical connections, on the outside. These can be plugged and unplugged underwater. The prototype system uses two lithium batteries, one powers the feet/hands and the other the back. On each battery pack, there is a on/off button that is variable; 100%, 75%, 50% power and of course, off.

The Deco Stop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom