Any need to adjust sizing when ordering a shorty to be used for layering?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ganu76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I already have a 5mm jumpsuit but I'm sure that I'll need better core protection when diving the local quarry this Spring/Summer. I thought about layering it with a 3mm shorty since I'll be able to use the shorty alone every Summer when diving the Florida panhandle.

Since the jumpsuit MIGHT already be a little on the small side (can't zip up alone and it does feel like rubber bands when I raise my arms) I'm considering wearing a shorty on the OUTSIDE but was wondering if I needed to bump up its size a little. I just don't see a shorty being able to fit under my current jumpsuit.

Thoughts? If I wear a shorty on the outside, now don't I run the risk of breaking THAT in incorrectly?

(BTW, the jumpsuit I came into is a practically new Pinnacle Cruiser 5. Donning and doffing is fine until you get to my shoulder blades. I'd LIKE to think that it'll break in and loosen up. I've also read that this type of snugness is considered the right fit. Regardless, I just don't see a shorty fitting under it.)

Last edited:
There is enough variation between makes and models to make an answer impossible. If you want to augment a fullsuit for warmth get a hooded vest. Something like the bare hooded step in will go a real good job at shutting off the cold water through the next. Second choice would be a hooded chicken vest which is worn under. More here

if you are dealing with companion suits from a brand they will be cut so you use the same size and they layer up accordingly.

Pete

Thanks Pete. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that I have a Pinnacle companion shorty saved in my Wishlist on LeisurePro. I'll certainly look more closely at that now.

Still though, when people who choose to layer go out and buy their outer suit, do they typically stay with the suggested size that the size chart gives? I know that the sizes on the charts are for wearing the garment next to your bare skin so I'm wondering if it's necessary to take the extra material of the INNER garment into consideration.

If necessary I guess I could just go to the LDS physically try on their hooded vests and the like while wearing my jumpsuit.

Thanks again in advance.

Gary

I know some hooded vests like the Bare mentioned above are designed to fit over a full suit. So if you wear a large full suit, the large step-in vest will fit over it. But I would assume most shorties are designed to fit against your skin. If you want the shorty just for layering, what I would do is put on your Cruiser and take your chest and waist measurements, then use those to buy the shorty. I'm not sure you will find a shorty that will fit correctly both directly on your skin and over a 5mm suit.

I have a zip-up sleeveless vest that I layer over a 3mm full suit. Occassionally I wear it alone. It works, but is definitely looser than I would like in that application.

James

Back
Top Bottom