Any Maui beachfront resorts that have good shore diving....suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay so I've lived here like 12 years now and have visited the Big Island 7 or 8 times, Kauai once (just a quick day trip) but never been to Maui, Lanai, or Molokai. I'm planning on going on a weekend dive excursion with my girlfriend and we're probably going to hit Maui. Our plan is to spend one day diving, and another day driving around before we catch our plane ride back to Oahu.

We'll most likely book a 2 or 3 tank boat dive somewhere around Lahaina - we're hoping to hit Molokini Crater. But my question is this.....

Are there any beach front resorts on Maui that rent tanks on site and have a decent house reef right in front of the property? I don't mind driving to go shore diving but if I wanted to do that I'd just stay on Oahu. Having a decent shore dive right in front of the hotel WITH a dive shop on site that rents tanks would be a HUGE plus.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anything near Blackrock or Airport Beach on the west side, Ka'anapali area. Cannot think of the resort names but there are a few along that route and decent diving.

A couple of options:

Sheraton Black Rock is on the Black Rock dive site. It's the cove to the left of the resort in this photo. They have an onsite dive operation.

main_main.jpg

It's in South Maui but...the Grand Wailea in Wailea is off the Wailea Beach Park dive site - maybe 100 yds. away. Nice resort but pricey. Great brunch. We rented tanks at their diveshack. It's been a few years so that may have changed.

Shore Diving Site Page for: Wailea Beach, Maui - you can see one wing of the GW hiotel to the left in the photo. The dive is towards the point to the right and out from there. Lots of stuff starting about 30-40'.

c000411.jpg

Although Lahaina Divers does Molokini, it's a shorter trip from Kihei with Ed Robinsons, B&B Scuba, Mike Severns or others - of course you'd have an early AM drive to Kihei - plan on at least 45mins. Does Lahaina Divers do the Backwall? I know Robinson's does, my friend did it with them. They also have a 3 tank advanced trip once or twice a week.

Last edited:
Yep, Lahaina Divers does the back wall once a week.

I'd second the Wailea Beach dive. Charlie Dolfun (Charlie Dolfun's Scuba ~ Welcome! ~) runs the dive place at the Grand Wailea hotel and you can rent gear from them for the short walk across the beach. They take beginners off to the right of the beach as you look out to sea but the nicer reef is off to the left. Lots of life to see there but watch out for boat traffic if you have to surface out there as some of the boats use it for their last dive location.

If you have a rental car I would recommend driving past Wailea and doing Five Caves Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Five Caves of Maui, Hawaiian Islands

I would suggest you contact the Sheraton and find out if the on-site shop will rent tanks or if you "have to" pay for them to guide you. Depending on who is running the shop there any given year, it can change on if they will rent you tanks and weights if you are not paying them to guide.

I'd be willing to bet a dollar that 5-Star Scuba has been the scuba operator at Black Rock since the grand reopening in '97. Not unheard of for various managers to set different policies over the years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom