Any issues with Slingshot bands breaking easy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm highly considering buying the AL Slingshot fins and have read a lot of great reviews on them.

I'm considering these over the Atomic split fins since apparently on #1 these act very closely to split fins, but allow you to change to a higher drive in case of strong current (which I will probably run into on Cozumel)

But I've also read a few instances where people had the bands break during a dive.

Anyone else experience this?

Someone said they contacted AL and they said they've altered the band material/design over the last year or two so that there should be no more breaks.

But it still seems like a weak spot. But these things get such great reviews. I'm considering picking up a pair of spare bands and keeping them in a BC pocket incase I'm underwater and need to change them on the fly.

IMHO, any fin I'm worried about enough to carry spare parts for during a dive is a fin I don't want.

That said, I haven't heard of this snapping problem and there are two per fin so I don't think even if it broke it would be that big of a deal. I've got the Atomic splits and like them.

IMHO, any fin I'm worried about enough to carry spare parts for during a dive is a fin I don't want.

That said, I haven't heard of this snapping problem and there are two per fin so I don't think even if it broke it would be that big of a deal. I've got the Atomic splits and like them.

9 times out of 10 I'm the same way. And I'm not into gimmick stuff either. But they have gotten excellent reviews from everyone that has tried them and that's why I'm leaning towards them over the Atomic splits. Plus they should give better control in currents.

How have the Atomic's held up with the current

I guess my point was, they are probably fine fins, but if you are worried enough about it to carry spare parts in your BC, buy something else.

The Atomics work great and give me plenty of thrust. In Cozumel you'll likely be drift diving not going against the current. Any fin will probably be fine. Had no issues there with the Atomics.

I've never had an issue with the bands, used the fins on about 50 dives so far. My instructor has had the fins for a while and said he only ran into a problem once after using them contioniously over about a year and had a band brake. even then it didnt seem much of an issue

I've heard of a couple of instances of them breaking, but I think that is the exception not the norm. Most people who have them seem to love them...I personally know a couple of people who have them (one an instructor) and they've never had any issues despite logging a large number of dives on them.

SO after you spend all that money and use them there is a likely hood they will break
but if you keep them mostly in a cupboard they may not but if they do you can fix them
underwater because it's no big deal as probably only one strap will break and of course you have spares in your pocket on the fly.

based on one dive reviews or from people that just spent big bucks or have no idea like you that are influenced by the Aqualung.

ARE YOU FAIRDINKUM?

Very good

I'm a little confused by the last post, but err ok.

I only plan on diving recreationally, so I wot be putting gear through such hard use as regular divers. But either way I plan on buying a pair of backup bands and keeping them in my BC pocket. These fins have gotten rave reviews and are worth the shot.

SO after you spend all that money and use them there is a likely hood they will break
but if you keep them mostly in a cupboard they may not but if they do you can fix them
underwater because it's no big deal as probably only one strap will break and of course you have spares in your pocket on the fly.

based on one dive reviews or from people that just spent big bucks or have no idea like you that are influenced by the Aqualung.

ARE YOU FAIRDINKUM?

Very good

I'm a little confused by the last post, but err ok.

I only plan on diving recreationally, so I wot be putting gear through such hard use as regular divers. But either way I plan on buying a pair of backup bands and keeping them in my BC pocket. These fins have gotten rave reviews and are worth the shot.

you aren't the only one.

I am yet to decide whether the sun has addled his brain or he is drunk ... am yet to read a post of his that i understand

These fins have gotten rave reviews and are worth the shot.
It's hard to get an objective review. The minimalist school has pre-judged these fins as contraptions. The gadget lovers, by definition, love them. The most biased group? Probably those who have bought them, and have an investment to justify.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom