Any interest in a weekend in Venice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJColorado

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any interest in joining me and Regina in FL for a long weekend? We are heading to Venice Beach on May 20 to dive for Megalodon Teeth and returning May 23. Airfare from Den to Ft Meyers is running about $250 now. PM me if you are interested and I can give you the details.

You should join us, Megalodon Charters, for a dive while your in the area!
(941) 483-3483
MegalodonCharters.com

We are booked with you for morning of 21st and afternoon of 22nd. Can't wait! The wife is determined to find a big Meg so don't let her down. :wink:

I have been wanting to do this for a while. Look foward to a trip report when you get back.

Just got back from our Florida trip and wanted to give a quick report on the Venice diving. We dove with Megalodon Charters on the 31’ Hammerhead dive boat. www.megalodoncharters.com This is a very good operation with a fun and friendly crew. On the 30 min trip from the dock to the fossil beds, The Divemaster, Blair, pulled out a bag of fossils and gave an informative briefing on what we would see. She passed around whale, manatee, mammoth bones and oh yes, the teeth. She lets us know where and how to look for the fossils and then did a couple of free dives to check the sites for us before we jumped in. The visibility was only about 4-6 feet, but that is really all you need because you are skimming along the bottom looking right in front of you the whole dive. We were told that it was like a desert down there but I was surprised to see a few critters. Fish would follow me around as I search and there were a lot of sea stars and crabs to play with too. The depths ranged from 25 to 28 feet and we did two dives with dive times of 2 hours or 500psi. I have to say that it was some of the most relaxing and tranquil diving I have done. Sure there are no reefs and the sea life is sparse, but there is something very peaceful about spending 2 hrs combing the sea floor for fossils. And then the excitement when you come upon a Meg tooth is incredible. If I could have jumped, I sure would have.
Of the 12 divers on the boat, 2 of us found nice Meg teeth, but I think everyone found something, whale and manatee fossils, smaller shark teeth, etc. It was enough to get me hooked and I can’t wait to get back and search for more.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

Last edited:
It was a blast!!!! We are already looking into going back this summer...probably in August. So, if anyone is interested...keep August open. I have fare watchers set up for flights into Orlando, Tampa, and Sarasota...we will keep you all posted.
It will be really hot, but the fossil diving is sooooooo worth it!
Oh, and if you want beach time...the beaches there are gorgeous! We will be sure to bring a strainer along on the next trip because you can find sharks teeth on the beach too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom