Any info about diver falling on his own knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kristi hager:
Marcie, It's Bobby, He might turn my tank off or something when I'm not looking.....don't wanna mess with him! Hahahah

I think Matt had a snicker at my expense too.

And Charlie, well, Charlie laughs right along with them.

I get NO RESPECT I tell ya!

Might be something I can stick between my matress and box spring in case of an intruder.......

Does that 7 mil neoprene make my hips look big? , or is the Nestea plunge position?

Dang! I need to get a new avatar!

kristi hager:
I think Matt had a snicker at my expense too.
Sad to hear someone died this way. My condolences to whoever it was.

The reason I had a snicker was I too have a big rambo knife. I got talked into it when I was fresh out of OW. When the knife showed up I said, "No way I'm even going to try to think about mounting this thing!" I just keep the knife around for home protection now with my handguns. It serves more purpose on land then it would have underwater. I guess a ton of OW students get suckered into buying one of those big knifes due to the misconceptions of scuba divers that TV has helped along. One of these big rambo knifes might be useful when spearing though.

Matt

I guess when i go to buy a knife i will get a small one i am very klutzy and i would wind up stabbing myself, i have a hard enough time with kitchen knives.

mels_2:
I guess when i go to buy a knife i will get a small one i am very klutzy and i would wind up stabbing myself, i have a hard enough time with kitchen knives.

Reminds me of a sad kitchen knife story, a guy in the meat packing plant where my father worked years ago managed to slip cutting something, miss the chain mail vest they usually wear, and hit an artery in his lower abdomen...he didn't make it. It wasn't a particularly big knife but it bugged my dad enough to let all the knives at home go dull and stay that way.

It's very sad if the diver fell on his own knife, but I wonder exatcly how it happened, why the knife was out in the open and what kind it was. It did not have to be a Rambo-sized knife to do damage.

Scubaroo:
So jokes at someone's expense aside, did someone really die from a dive knife incident???

I'm curious about this too, but a search didn't turn up anything. I did find this, which I found very interesting in the CSI/Forensic science vein (no pun intended.)

http://www.cmj.hr/2003/4403/19PETRI.pdf

Can anyone from out in Cali verify the recent rumor/story?

It's hard to imagine the scenario that would have to take place for someone to fall and kill themselves on a knife...while diving or preparing to dive.

I've heard of several children playing around an open dishwasher who slipped and fell on a upturned knife in the tray.

Well, I've read all the posts up to this point. If someone did die, I've seen some real cheap shots. If someone did not die it's been one hell of a troll.

Regards

It happened in Palos Verdes, Ca. Apparantly someone walking their dog along the cliffs spotted the injured diver and was told he fell on his knife and the injury appeared to be through his neck. He died shortly thereafter. (this is what I've learned from local divers, not much has been said in the news)

To shore dive most anywhere in PV, you have to climb down some pretty nasty cliffs. One of the main reasons my buddy and I picked up our rigid inflatable was because of these cliffs. Not only does it take a lot out of you physically, but it wears on your gear as well. I've never taken scuba gear down these cliffs, we mainly freedive. I could see the potential problems with the added wieght, tanks, etc.

With the winter we had, it compounded the problem even more by making the trails extremely slick. My buddy fell during one of our trips and landed square on his back on a nasty jagged rock. Luckily he was wearing his harness weight belt, which took the brundt of the fall.

There is some great shore diving along PV, but accessing the entry points can be extremely dangerous.

Condolences to friends and family

man, that's just awful

terrible news

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom