Any Guided Dives To See Kelp, Seals, Etc..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are spots are Santa Barbara Island and Anacapa Islands which are sea lion rookeries.

However there's no guarantee that these spots are diveable at any moment. Mother Nature has a lot to say about where we can go.

Seals are a lot rarer to see.

Even the Channel Islands rookeries are not a sure shot any more. With the rising ocean temps and subsequent scarcity of food, the mothers are venturing much farther away leaving the pups on their own. There's been a significant die off in the last couple of years due to this.
One of the spots there's almost always sea lions is the end of the Breakwater Wall in Monterey.

On most boats in So Cal if you announce that you are from out of town and a single looking for a buddy or a buddy pair to dive with someone will almost always offer to let you dive with them.

If you shore dive at La Jolla cove there are lots of sea lions on either side of the dive side. I tried to dive there 4 times. Once I settled for La Jolla shores. Once I got out. I did not see any sea lions in the water but there were lots of them on either side. Second picture is the dive site. You can see the sea lions to the right. Blown up picture is just below. There were also sea lions to the left.

seal1.JPG
seal2.JPG
seal2.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom