Any good Port A diving for New Years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this is a long shot, but - the family will be taking a condo in Port Anransas for the New Years weekend. I think we're at the Sandpiper. Is there any place to get a quick dive in? I've hear the jetties can be tolerable under certain coditions. Should we throw the gear in the car?

Depends…
This time of year we have experienced water conditions in the low sixties, and small rollers.
You could try spearboard and see what they have to say or check NOAA site.
Or do a search here on jetties and packery channel.

My honest guess would be leave the gear at home. Bring your drysuit mask and fins.
Most charters are not going out and if the winds hit in from the north then you can forget it. In July we were down on Mustang Island and it was awesome. Then again that was July.

If you wanted to dive the jetties please watch for the tides (some water gets moving through there) and have a line cutter handy. Too much fishing line too mention.

Out of the five times we have tried and been out twice in a small boat they have all been scrapped.

You might want to check in with American Technical diving in Padre and see if they have something going out- make a day trip out of it. I am not sure of the mileage.

Regards, Andrew

I know Dan took a group out on the jetties last weekend. You might want to call him to see how it was. Even when the conditions are pretty poor there is a lot to see a couple hundred yards up the channel near the University Pier. You might not get deeper than about 10-15', but we have been amazed at the variety of tropical fish there.

Ascuba Venture
6121 SPID Ste A
Corpus Christi, Texas 78412
361-985-1111

It has been so long since I have spent time playing in Port A that I can offer no useful advice. I remember that the viz on most dives around there averages about the same as travis, but I'll dive that over and over again, so why not do bad vis in a different place? I do remember a couple of good dives there, one a night dive around the jetties.

And I find that diving is like sex, great or good is best, but poor beats out none hands down.:wink:

Sorry we will miss you at Macks new years day dive, but I will attempt to document event with new underwater camera setup and post it up for you. I will be at Macks shop on Saturday, picking up some more neoprene, and weight to go with it to be ready for Mondays dive. I am going to try and make that my last equipment purchase till summer, when I will be thinking about buying a tank. Money needs to go to fixin' 4Runner in meantime, fix that oil leak so can take it to lake again. Of course, still will be tank rentals and fills, plus educational money to be spent. Hope to get money set aside and set up with Mack for Scientific Diver cert in Feb. sometime.

Hope y'all have a good time down there, have a happy new year, and a safe one. See ya at SSASS if not before.

Matt

I would highly recommend talking to Dan before going, but at least take a look at the tide charts that I linked below. The current is going to be ripping during the morning & early afternoon. To me it looks like the best time would be after 3pm. You want to be in near the crest of the high tide because at that time the channel has been pulling in the clear water from offshore. After high tide and at the crest of low tide the channel is full of the muddy bay water.

Be sure to stay near side of the channel, keep your dive flag above you, and have at least one easily accessible knife per person. We didnt get caught up in any line, but there is plenty to be found.

Do you know where to park & put in? If you have any other questions let me know.

Joe

http://nearshore.utmsi.utexas.edu/tides/jan_07.pdf

Back
Top Bottom