Any good boating forums out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yea Cheeta ...I took the Coast Guard Aux Seamanship I course this winter...alot of the folks in there didn't own boats yet. However the course material covered every aspect of boating it is specifically focused on the fundamentals of boating and owning a boat. I would highly recommend taking the course before getting into boating. I'm sure Power Squadran is identical. It is a very relaxed introduction to boating and sailing..

I like the sound of the USCG classes, but I'd have to drive all the way to Seattle (~530mi) to the nearest place they're offered. I can't even find any marinas on any boating sites in Montana, so I think I'm pretty out of luck for finding information on learning locally online. Thanks for all the info though guys, school's almost over, looks like I have my reading cut out for me once summer hits!

www.usps.org
power squadron website
course material (Americas Boating Course)can be ordered online,
get the cd rom, and then I think the test is online as well if you want the certificate

Chapmans book was available from west marine for $29.95 during christmas. Its the size of a dictionary (hardcover) but the ultimate reference. Amazon.com has some other handy books as well.

Of course, spending time on boats observing (if you are a customer) or helpng out on one is the best way to learn. I was lucky enough to crew on a dive boat in Australia back in 1996 shortly after certification. Got to see what not to do without it being my fault...

When I decided to own a boat, I spent about 6 months on websites: iboats, the hull truth, boatus.com, then I bought my boat. The hull truth was exceptionally helpful when it was time to buy electronics, hardware, safety gear, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom