Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the videos as well as the posting about the walk in access. It really gives me another possible way of find teeth. The group I use to go down with is selling the boat. I really do not have a boat of my own so I don't have much to offer except for gas money. Thanks to everyone that has made this thread the best I have ever been apart of.

Last edited:
Tony I use to live in Kinston which is not far from Mount Holly. Ever dive Fantacy Lake? I have history there. Don't worry about boats, we can ALWAYS find a boat. When I started out I use to do walk-ins all the time. Now days I prefer a boat because it makes it easy.

Here is Johnny's boat running the Cooper river after a day fossiling

Here is Phil's deck boat running the French Quarter to a fossiling site (Charleston)

Here is Phil's jon boat used to fossil the Edisto river

Here is Tom's boat running into Charleston Harbor (it is also used to fossil the Cooper river)

Here is Jeff's fossil diving platform headed offshore Venice

Here is Jamie' Kat comming to pick us up to do some fossiling offshore Venice

MAN........I am chompin' at the bit to get back into the water~!!!!!! LOL

I want to ask everyone, what would you like to find this year hunting and........what is on your "must" list to add to your collection?

For me, I want to find a decent full rooted GW at least 2" long, and I am hoping to add to my 4" angy collection with a sharp serrated tooth. I would also like to find a whale vert the size of a gallon paint can.

Must haves for my collection are a Mako and meg tooth from Bone Valley, a meg from Aurora, mammoth, mastodon and gomph teeth with a nice piece of tusk. I would like to find some more fossil antler pieces as well.

As far as artifacts go, I would love to find a complete Native American pottery piece, a banner stone, more points and I want a Native American napped drill and fish hook bad~!!!! I want a colbalt blue blob top soda bottle and a complete onion bottle. I almost hit pay dirt last year on my last dive in the Cooper, I found the top and neck sticking out and when I went to remove material around it, all that was there was the top portion of bottle. I still display it with my bottles.

I would like many more things but hey, I am not greedy, lol

I havent been collecting a really long time but wanted to add a couple of 3" Moroccan otodus teeth which i just did last week. Really want to add more great whites and makos to my growing collection. Need to add an angy and 3" plus mako to the collection as well. Should get some of those numbers up in he peace and edisto this year.

Interesting post Mike. I can see a lot of your personality in that posting. My perspective is VERY different than yours. Many years ago I was laying on the bottom of the Cooper river one Saturday afternoon. It was about 25 feet deep, I had my HID light on (of course), my light had attracted a half dozen eels, I was trying to fan the bottom, but the eels were fighting over the light, so it turned into me fighting and pushing the eels out of the way so I could get to the sand and fan the bottom. It was then I had the thought "how many teacups does a man need?" From that point in time forwards I changed my perspective almost completely to enjoying the sunshine, the people, the fellowship, the diving, the fossiling, and the recreation.

I do have thoughts though when it comes to collecting combined with desire. I use to think about the Saber Tooth Cat skull when digging in ice age material, have had thoughts of the sloth claw, a large dino skull (dreaming) would be awesome, a mammouth tooth, some higher quality large megs, some hemi's (they have eluded me), I really like ivory (ever since I layed my eyes on some ivory poker chips), i like my fossilized murex shell... would like more fossilized shells, a CSA belt buckle, more old and attractive bottles, would like to find some gold (met a guy on Subaboard that found a couple of dozen gold coins while diving), emeralds (met a diver that worked with Mel Fisher and said 20yrs back she saw LOTS come off the bottom)

do i think the fellowship is more valuable that all that crap... yes

Fisher found emeralds on the Atocha
emerald.jpg

Thompson found gold offshore NC approximately 1990
CentralAmericagold.jpg

Mike, Great post . It just makes me want to get in the water .. Headed down this weekend to work on the boat and start getting it ready for the season .. The only item that has eluded me is a complete mastadon .. Until I find one of these I will keep turning over every bone and rock until I find one . Good luck with your fossil " bucket list " Maybe we can all get together and fill our list all in one day . The banner stones are very rare on the river , I lucked up about 5 yrs ago and came across a stone in perfect condition . Im not much on the indian artifacts but definately do not pitch the over the side .. I 100% agree with Lee .. There has been many a day Ive done only one tank and spent the rest of the time hanging on the boat soakin up the rays .. I guess a favorite of mine is teaching newbies how to dive the river that is other than diving the river myself .. I just hate diving with newbies with an ego .. Ego will get ya in trouble on the bottom ..

I do enjoy diving and finding fossils, I also really enjoy the friendship I get from others. I never think that I am so good as to not learn a thing or two from another diver. I dive with the Mt Pleasant Fire Dept. and the Charleston Rescue, from time to time. Heck, Charlie Fox is the guy who I got cert. from.

I am still waiting for Phill to chime in on this, He is, hands down, one of the best guys you'll ever get the pleasure of meeting. He truly loves the hobby and love passing it on to others.

Rich, I hope to meet up with you and Mud soon. Would be good to go diving with ya's. This coming Saturday, I will be upgrading my rotors and pads on my truck, but I plan on being done by noon time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom