Any fellow shark lovers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm Sara! I am an avid scuba diver in South Florida and I am a huge shark lover and shark conservationist. If anyone wants to share awesome shark dives I would love to hear about them, I am always looking for a new experience! "Fins Up"

I think you will find many shark lovers here on SB. I just returned from the Bahamas where I spent several dives filming reef sharks for an upcoming video. I've filmed great whites in Guadalupe Island, dived with them in many exotic locales (the Great Barrier Reef, Tahiti, etc) and created a few DVDs about them.

Perhaps my favorite story involves a dive I did buddied up with Wyland at his request. He wanted to film giant sea bass of Catalina. I told him I was a total jinx at that specific site, but he insisted so we descended. Almost immediately we had three giant sea bass with us and filmed away. About half way into the dive he signaled that he was returning to the boat. I stayed down another 30 minutes, then headed back myself. When I re-boarded, he asked "Didn't you see the 14 ft great white shark?" Apparently it had swum between us and I had my back to it so I never actually saw it.

Hi Sara,

I also love sharks! All my non-diving friends think I'm mad for having a shark tattoo. Malapascua in the Philippines is a great place to see Thresher Sharks (my favourite.) I did my divemaster training there, the first 4 weeks I was very unlucky and for some reason kept missing the sharks. Other people saw them but I was always at a different cleaning station, had already gone up or arrived too late. Then one dive me and another trainee decided to go off and do our own thing, looking for nudibranchs and other small things on a different part of the plateau away from other divers. We were surrounded by threshers and no other divers, it was amazing! After that I saw pleanty of sharks - the curse was lifted!

Welcome to SCUBAboard.

Here's to Sharks!

We are going to Socorro in Nov.

Still plenty there.

Hi drbill, I am really new to the scuba board here so any suggestions are very helpful, I am glad to know that there are fellow shark lovers on here. I LOVE the Bahamas. The water is so beautiful there. And so many sharks. Can I order your DVD's? I did the Unexso dive in the Bahamas and also a shark dive on Blackbeards. I just came back from Guadalupe I went there in October, it was so amazing seeing those white sharks. I have been to the barrier reef too but I did not see sharks :( and I have been to Fiji, lots of white tip reef sharks there on every dive, That is so cool that you dove with Wyland and you saw Sea Bass, that is awesome! WOW, a GW was right next to you and you did not see it. That is just crazy....:)

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 11:39 AM ----------

I want a shark tattoo also! :) I want a tiger shark on my rib cage, tigers are my favorite shark...but I am 17 so my mom told me I have to wait until I am done with college to get a tattoo - all my friends think I am crazy for loving sharks so much, I have never seen a thresher shark they look so awesome....did you end up seeing the nudibranchs too? that is so cool that you were surrounded by threshers - yeah your curse is lifted :)

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 11:40 AM ----------

Yeah! Fins Up for sharks!

Na, I hate sharks. :wink:

Just kidding. I think it'll be hard finding a scuba diving enthusiast (especially a scubaboard member) who does not like sharks.

hey karen jenefer, you are absolutely right. The nicest sharks are the Thresher Sharks and they can be seen daily at Malapascua! A great spot where you see them getting cleaned! An awesome adventure.
I dived with Exotic divers Malapascua Exotic Island Dive and Beach Resort and i saw them 5 days in a row and always more than one shark per dive! Great great experience!
Everyone should check them out there in Malapascua!

As well as Malapascua which is awesome , Sipadan in Borneo has massive numbers of white tip and also grey reef sharks.

A few years ago in 2009 we saw huge numbers of leopard sharks ( 20 to 30 in 3 weeks ) in the Andaman Sea side of Thailand ans around the Similans Islands. Sadly exactly a year on exactly the same route he saw one or two , the guides were very concerned about this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom