Any experience with these canisters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both of you, thanks for the info. You are absolutely right about the "better to have and not need"-statement. The only downside with it is that it will be about twice as expensive as the one from AGIR o_O On the other hand, I'm willing to pay more if I get more. Better sell my left kidney :D

Both of you, thanks for the info. You are absolutely right about the "better to have and not need"-statement. The only downside with it is that it will be about twice as expensive as the one from AGIR o_O On the other hand, I'm willing to pay more if I get more. Better sell my left kidney :D

In order to see what you get for your money if you go UWLD, we have to figure out what this AGIR light actually is because very little of what they say on the website is direct, and much of it misleading or not possible.
They claim 4000 lumen. This is not possible at 28w draw. The implication there is 140 lumen/watt which is not possible with todays technology for a reasonable cost. 110 lumen/watt is normal, 120 lumen/watt is considered exceptionally good. If they're lucky, it's putting out 3000 lumen, which I don't believe is likely as efficiency goes down when they get driven that hard, but we'll call it 3000 lumen for good measure. Your OP said 2800 lumen, so we can stay with that which is reasonable at that watt draw.
They don't speak of watt hours of the battery pack, but the manual says voltage of 11.1v which is expected. That means a roughly 115wh battery pack and a ~4 hour burn on high. Your link says the 18ah pack, but it linked to the 10.4ah pack, so we'll go with that. It's 7 hours on high with the big battery pack btw

With this understood, to compare apples to apples, we have to compare that light to the UWLD 26-107 which is the medium light, with the medium sized battery and will give you 5hrs ish on the medium battery, and 7.5 hours on the big one.

Price of this light *26/medium battery* is $1545, vs AGIR at roughly $1000 USD, plus more minus $50 depending on which battery pack from AGIR you compare it to. Medium battery from UWLD and 10.4ah is the closest thing to apples to apples.

Beam angle is supposedly the same.

UWLD gets you a more efficient light. Roughly the same battery size, roughly the same light output, but UWLD is able to do it with 20w draw instead of 28, which means a 20% increase in burn time. This equates to saving weight, with the UWLD being .6kg lighter on land, important if you're flying.

You get no moving parts. Switch boots don't usually rip, but the UWLD doesn't have one to rip. On top of that, the switch is on the light head instead of on the canister which gives you some flexibility in canister position as well as ease of use if diving with thick gloves.

Custom optics. UWLD has a custom designed optic that is optimized for in water use vs most others that are using standard optics developed for land use. This gives them a more natural look in the water than many other lights.

Cable gland output choice. The ability to have a 90* cable gland is great if you're diving in sidemount, but even in backmount it is not a bad thing as it can help the cord cross over to your left hand lower on the body which makes it less inclined to get caught up in front of you. No charge option.

Modularity. Do you have a heated vest? If not, do you want one? With the AGIR you would have to send it back and get a new head with an extra EO output and if you did, you would only have on/off control of the vest and the heat would taper off with pack voltage, same if you added a Pitkin controller from LM. With the UWLD, the pack voltage is 18v nominal and the vest controller has a step down function to make sure that heat setting 1 is always the same regardless of pack voltage. This controller is in a stack cap that you can put in or take out whenever you want. Don't need the vest, but need the light? No EO cord dangling around from the end of the light cap.

Goodman handle. Little things, but the goodman handle on the UWLD is brilliant compared to the rigid goodmans, and on top of that, the quick release allows you to leave the handle on your wrist and clip the light head off separately which makes it less likely to catch on stuff. Not a huge benefit, but it's nice to have.

Head size looks to be roughly the same, so no benefit there, but both have a benefit over LM as they have some pretty massive light heads.

UN 38.3 certified. LM has two of their packs certified, AGIR makes no mention of theirs being compliant or certified, but all of UWLD's are, and are engraved on the canisters themselves. If you fly, this may be a nice thing to have to avoid questions or problems with airport security.

Multiple light output settings. Don't need the light output you have? Don't want the light output you have? With LM or AGIR you're stuck, with the UWLD you can turn it down. They all have the capability to have mulitple light output settings with the driver boards, but UWLD chose to give you the option. They have custom electronics that are made in the USA to ensure top quality where most of the others are using standard off the shelf parts from China/Taiwan.

Depth rating. UWLD is rated to 200m, and real world diving to at least 230m. One of them had a bad day at that depth after being beaten into a rock by a DPV, but it was still fixed under warranty. AGIR doesn't really certify them, but says they're tested to 100m. Not a huge thing since most people don't dive that deep, but if you ever get into full trimix, at least you know the light is rated much deeper than you'll ever likely go since 100m isn't all that deep when you're on full trimix on a ccr...

Latchless design. Not a huge thing either, but have no latches gives less snag points on the canister, as well as less failure modes

So it's all of the little things. No one big thing that says that a UWLD is a better light than the others on the market, but it's all of the little things added up. It's then up to you to decide if the price premium is worth it compared to some of the less expensive lights out there, but at least if something were to go wrong, there is a full factory trained service center in the Netherlands so you don't have to send anything back to the US. There is also another one in Australia for those that are curious.

You can get into a UWLD light for about the same price as the AGIR with the LD-15/mini which gives you 3.5 hours of burn time at a bit less light, but a tighter beam angle for ~$1100. This is an epic light and you won't be disappointed. If you're interested in a heated vest at some point, I would personally splurge on the bigger battery size now, but that's just me. If you are in sidemount especially, the extra length of the canisters is also quite nice for ease of attachment if you butt mount it. At 8" long, the baby canister is not exactly big... If you want the big light output, then the 35 is worth the $200 over the 26, and I would go with at least the medium sized canister. Not cheap, but a light that is truly in a league of its own

Last edited:
Valid points again, and I definitely like UWLDs innovative style and attention to details!

Apparently, there are some different spec sheets for the AGIR laying around:
I found the info that I used for reference here: Agir Brokk LED Canister Light | Scuba Fiend
Those specifications look a little bit more plausible to me than what AGIR themselves have listed on their own site.
All AGIR products are said to be developed, produced and tested in-house, but I'm not sure if that is correct. It is highly likely that some of the components used are "off the shelf".

Thanks for finding. Much better than what was on the website, and thankfully doesn't change anything I wrote since the math works out. Those are much more reasonable light output numbers with reasonable burn times, which is a bit of a relief compared to what many others are claiming out of their lights.

I did edit the novel up top and added that the UWLD's have a latchless design which is awesome. No need to ever break the canister apart. Not that Nielsen latches aren't reliable, but it's less snag points, and less likely to have an issue.

regarding the developed, produced, and tested in house, I would believe their claim. That said, there is only so much that can be done in house. They are unlikely making the battery packs, they definitely aren't making the chargers, and the light components themselves shouldn't be made by them. They should be machining everything, and specing all of the components they're using, etc etc and likely are. What I meant by off the shelf was that they are buying a LED emitter board, and an LED driver board, and it's like you going to Home Depot or whatever the Norwegian equivalent is and building something. Very different than going to a supplier and having components produced to your specifications. Pros and cons, with the con being you aren't getting the most highly optimized products, but the pro being that they are less expensive by comparison and are easy to source. Specifying all of the components is what allows UWLD to have the light pattern set exactly how they wanted it with the custom optics, it is what gives them the best efficiency on the market with the custom batch of LED's and made to spec drivers and boards, and a lot of other innovative features that the others don't have like the piezo switch, wireless charging, stackable heads, etc.

You are absolutely right about the in house development. Very few brands actually go the whole nine yards and have all components produced by their exact specifications rather than picking an already available product. They rather tend to make compromises, sacrificing either quality or performance (or both, in some cases) in order to keep the costs down.

To my knowledge, the only things that UWLD uses that are "stock" items are
Battery Charger-not much you can do there, so you can't fault them on that, but they do use high quality chargers
Cords/glands-these are industry standards, so can't really argue there either
O-rings-not a whole lot you can do there either

everything else is custom machined where things down to the o-ring compression is factored in, or custom specified and built by their suppliers to make sure it is exactly the right specification for this application. The price that they charge reflects these added steps, but they do make a difference

Back
Top Bottom