Any experience with custom wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polysemous1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I have a problem fitting a wetsuit. I have a 34 inch waist and a 50 inch chest, so, if it fits well to my waist I can't zip up and if I get one big enough to zip up I have a really saggy backside, so, I've decided to get a wetsuit custom-made...any recommendations regarding manufacturers? Anybody else with this problem?

thanks,

Dave

Can't speak from personal experience (yet) but a buddy of mine got a custom suit made a few years ago and swears by it. It fits better than any off the shelf cuz it's cut to his dimensions, and is made out of a better neoprene that doesn't compress until a much lower depth. It's warm enough that he wears his 3mm suit for anything above 50 degrees. The place he got his done has their website at www.wetwear.com. The site kinda sucks but it gives you a good overview. There are any number of options you can get. I'll be getting mine around christmas.

A

We have had good experince with Liquidfit and Atlan. If you're looking at a cold water suit IMO Atlan has a big edge.

If you have the need it is absolutely the way to go and the price premium is insignificant.

Pete

I could recommend Otter Bay Wetsuits all the way over here in Monterey. I've heard good things.

http://www.otterbaysuits.com/

Henderson does digital fitting. Their Hyperstretch wetsuits are amazingly stretchy if you want to try one on. Having the bodymass of a baby whale, I thought I'd have to get a digital fit but was floored that I could easily squeeze into an off the shelf Hyperstretch.

http://www.hendersonusa.com/default.html

Good Luck!

I'll second the Atlan recomendation. My custom 7/7 John & Jacket with neck, wrist and ankle seals was $375 and you can beat the fit. Very durable as well.

Spectrum, we should have an automated response set up for this by now.... and Atlan should start paying us.

crlavoie:
I'll second the Atlan recomendation. My custom 7/7 John & Jacket with neck, wrist and ankle seals was $375 and you can beat the fit. Very durable as well.

Spectrum, we should have an automated response set up for this by now.... and Atlan should start paying us.

As long as they keep my wife comfy I'm happy!

I had mine made from Aquaflite 10 years ago when I started diving, and I'm still diving it. It's not even tattered or anything. Great fit and great suit. :D

For years my "signature suit" was an M&B custom wetsuit that wasn't even made for me. It was the warmest suit I've ever worn. M&B is in Long Beach, CA.

I had my custom made at Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey California.

I had problems also with rentals where the arms / chest would take turns fitting me properly, or the Farmer John would fit, but the matching top was all wrong. I bit the bullet and ordered a custom fit 2 piece 7mm. The fit is excellent, but the "beaver tail" takes a little getting used to. Plenty warm for 50's, too much for anything in the 70's for me (but It's Not A Competition!)

The hood is excellent, and as you can see, they added the horns I requested. (although the horns are twice the size I requested!)

A very LARGE friend of ours had a custom wetsuit made at Heat Wave (?) in Santa Cruz. (Related to Otter Bay - long story) He ordered a one piece with a zipper in the front. He uses that for easy access, easy zipping and temperature control.

YMMV

Wristshot

I own 2 Aquaflites. I have 3mm full suit w/hood and a 7mm Farmer John with their "Oceanlier" lining. They are 2 years old. No problems to report. Ankle zippers was a good option for me. Went with a front zip on the 3mm. Easy on and off.

Prices are published on-line. Ed Rogers was very helpful with the sale. Delivery was on time. Didn't bust the wallet as much as I thought it might compared to off-the-rack rubber.

Good luck on your search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom