any experence with dive rite lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticcat

Reaction score
I am considering an entry level HID. For example dive rites MLS1. Recreational diving with the possibility of future cave and caverns. I just like the HID quality light.

A friend of mine who used to be a commercial diver and now is an instructor told me that DiveRite's HID lights were good. He said that they were as good as the UK HID lights, and cost less.

I've never used any of them myself. However, I did several dives this past week with someone who just got a DiveRite canister HID light, and the light coming from it looked just as bright as I remembered UK HID lights being when I dove with buddies who had them. Those HID lights sure are great underwater. I wish I had one of my own!

I have a DiveRite HID with a Wreck I Canister - it's perfect, mainly if you own a Transpac and the light its superb

However be careful with the lamp - it's very expensive, so don't forget to cover it well while transporting it

I use Dive Rite HID's. They work great IMO. However, I prefer the wreck canister over the rather large MLS canister.

I agree with JamesK

I have a Dive Rite Mini Classic 10W HID. The Mini Classic is not even listed on the DR website, nor in their literature. I got it back in Jan, and it was supposedly brand new and just not on the books yet.....but it hasn't appeared, so I'm wondering if they decided not to mass produce it? Anyways, it's the same as a Classic, but half the height. The canister is smaller than the MLS, but with the same battery size(7ah). It provides, according to DR, a 6 hour burn time, but they recommend no more than 3(half of the battery life to avoid damaging it due to excessive discharge). I've used it for 4.5 hours in one day, and checked the battery voltage and it was still above the minimum required under load.

Dive Rite now has what they call a "Half height" Wreck canister. It is truly tiny, about 3-4" diameter and 4" or so tall. It is literally half the height of the Wreck1 canister. You can get NiMH(Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries for the half height, and I would assume for the Wreck1. The NiMH batteries for the half height provide a 4ah battery, where as the gel cell for the Wreck1 is a 2.8ah. That means, to me, that you could likely get an 8ah NiMH battery pack into the Wreck1.

Either the Wreck1 or half height wreck are what I would recommend if you want a 10w HID. My mini classic, while smaller than most other canister lights, is still a bit large. I am now considering changing it to an 18wHID, and buying a half height wreck canister to put the 10wHID head on. 4 hour burn time on such a small package is pretty impressive.

Check out the following portion of Dive Rite's website for more info on the NiMH and half height Wreck canister. The picture at the top left is the Wreck1(on left) and half height Wreck(on right).

http://www.dive-rite.com/products/mls/nimh.htm

Mike

He's full of it (either that of DR has a new product I don't know about in which case I am). DR makes pro canister lights with a separate lighthead and battery pack suitable for serious tech use. UK make throwaway one-piece rec diving lights that just happen to use the same bulb. Othr than that, there's no comparison, and DRs are much more expensive. Perhaps he meant Halcyon rather than UK?
The DIR zombies may quibble, but DR makes good lights, and has a long traditon of standing behind what they sell. I'm not crazy about their NIHms because they use wide squat little canisters rather than long and skinny ones like Halcyon, but then they are a lot cheaper, and put out as much light. For recreational diving, though, go to ebay and buy a light cannon for $130 - its the most light for the moeny.

Originally posted by otter-cat
A friend of mine who used to be a commercial diver and now is an instructor told me that DiveRite's HID lights were good. He said that they were as good as the UK HID lights, and cost less.

I've never used any of them myself. However, I did several dives this past week with someone who just got a DiveRite canister HID light, and the light coming from it looked just as bright as I remembered UK HID lights being when I dove with buddies who had them. Those HID lights sure are great underwater. I wish I had one of my own!

DNAXdiver,

I'm pretty sure that my friend (who is also the LDS owner) is not full of it, but it IS possible that I didn't remember what he said correctly. I am sure that he was complimenting the Dive Rite lights. And I'm pretty sure he was comparing them to UK, but maybe he was comparing them to Halcyon. It could be that the prices in one (or more) of the brands vary a lot depending on where you buy it, in which case it could be more expensive than the other in one place and vice versa in another. Not having shopped for one myself, I don't know.

Either way, the person I was diving with last week had a new Dive Rite HID, and it worked great.

Back
Top Bottom