Any Exp. with any of this gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the issue(s) I have with that package.

It's a jacket BC. Many divers start out in jacket - you likely did in your class and transition to something back mounted. If you're going to be diving locally, you'll probably be carrying a lot of weight to compensate for your wetsuit buoyancy so either a back-inflate bc or a backplate/wing configuration may make more sense. I know a lot of people who started in a jacket and changed to a back-inflate model. I know one person who changed back.

They sell a lot of jackets because they're inexpensive, easy to configure for classes or on dives at tourist destinations and with little to no training float you upright. Most casual divers like that. With proper configuration once - either other option does also. BP/W's are typically sized and straps cut to your exact measurements so you can see where those would be unusable in rental fleets.

It's an Edge regulator. Edge/Hog is an fairly new brand - only been around 4-5 years. They have a lot of fans because they are very user serviceable and inexpensive - a very good value per $$. Their dealer network is nowhere near as extensive as some of the other manufacturers though yet. One thing you can do is buy/carry a service kit with you while traveling so in an emergency any competent reg tech can repair yours. So you may want to check on local service in your area also. One of their dealers is Jim Lapenta whose on the board often - he's in PA. So might be your best option. Edge/Hog also has an active mfr's forum here for more information about their products.

The octo is a Sea Elite. Typically you service an octo when you service your reg. They're pretty generic but:
Sea Elite products are sold and serviced exclusively through Divers Supply
Probably not an issue for any competent reg. tech - if they can get parts.

I like and have bought from Diver's Supply myself - just not any of this gear.

I do like the redundancy of having both a depth/pressure gauge and a computer. In case the computer dies you still know where you are and can get back safely. The Leonardo is a good entry level computer. It does Air/Nitrox, is downloadable (optional $90 cable required) and has a backlight. Everything you want in a basic model.

hth,

For other package options look at Scubatoys.com or Leisurepro.com. All of Scubatoys gear has full mfr's warranties, most of LP's does.

Like to echo Diversteve's point about having the backup depth gauge. You never know when a computer can crap out on you. Having a watch and depth gauge means your not S.O.L if the computer goes and have to scrub the rest of your dives. I have a SE octo and it is ok, though thinking of switching it out to something else.

I started out with Jacket BC's on first 2 tries at OWC, but for my 3rd I went back inflate with a Transpac. MUCH better trimming out. You can actually save some money buying a used BP (its a big piece of metal, so not to much worry about condition/failing). HOG has some really top notch service from what I read, and Jim, a dealer, really goes the extra mile it seems.

Just so you know one reason you really may want to look into diving a BP/W is less weight on your belt. You will automatically save a few lbs of lead just because you have less fabric to sink (all the jackets i have had to wear were positively buoyant). A BP and Harness is negatively buoyant (by around 5-6 lbs). I found BP/W and Back Inflate type BCDs allow me to trim out better and easier than Jacket. I'm rather tall and oddly shaped and found that normal jacket BCD's do not fit me right. Thanks to a small niche market I was able to get a BCD that was tailored to my height. Dive Rite has their transpac that actually fits a guy that was even taller than me (he came in around 6'8/6'9).

Best of luck and enjoy!

My only concern is that you live in Jersey. Do you plan on doing much if any local diving? If so the BC may not have enough lift for the weights you'll need with a 7 mil. In addition the EXP in that package is not the cold version. I have had my GF's down to around 50 degrees with no issues but if you plan on any cold water like less than 45 degrees or so I'd sure lean towards the sealed version. Just what is your budget if I may be so bold? And more importantly what type of diving do you see yourself doing the most? This needs to be considered carefully before buying gear.

I started in a jacket bc like the one in that package and dove it for less than 20 dives and switched to a backplate for 2 major reasons. 1) I found that the jacket style bc does not fit all that great and flops around when I'm diving a bit or it fits my height but the waist strap is significantly to large. 2) The backplate and wing with a single tank adapter really cut down on how much weight i use and that overall made diving significantly more enjoyable.

A few other key points where it was fairly inexpensive i bought everything for like 300 and if you choose to make it weight integrated you can with pockets from various manufactures like Dive Rite

My only concern is that you live in Jersey. Do you plan on doing much if any local diving? If so the BC may not have enough lift for the weights you'll need with a 7 mil. In addition the EXP in that package is not the cold version. I have had my GF's down to around 50 degrees with no issues but if you plan on any cold water like less than 45 degrees or so I'd sure lean towards the sealed version. Just what is your budget if I may be so bold? And more importantly what type of diving do you see yourself doing the most? This needs to be considered carefully before buying gear.

I plan to do most of my diving with a 7mm in NJ; but only in the summer time. My budget is around $1000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom