Any Equipment Advice for a short woman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA:
All bet you were using a weight belt. right?

If so what happens is when at the surface with BC inflated the "lift" in the jacket pulls the BC up while the wieght belt pulls you down. It seems like the jacket is riding up but really YOU are being pulled down and the BC is staying on the surface.
Well, Dang! If that isn't one of the best things I have read! No wonder why I am the only one whose BC is up around the ears, I am the only one still wearing a weight belt! Duh! And here I am thinking its just me and an ill fitting BC!
BC's have changed a bit since I got my first BC (not all THAT LONG ago), and the difference between a womans BC and a mans, was the womans was pink. Glad times are changing and there are manufacturers making equipment designed for a womans unique features.
I'm a shorty also, and a beach diver. So as much as I would like to get a B/W, I have heard they will throw you face forward in the surf, they don't prop you up like a BC will. I did try a Transpac, but later learned it wasn't adjusted right as it felt like I wanted to roll to the side.
I did try the Diva on in the shop and if I ever get a new BC it will be that one. Comfy!
Good luck.

Scuba_Jenny:
I'm a shorty also, and a beach diver. So as much as I would like to get a B/W, I have heard they will throw you face forward in the surf, they don't prop you up like a BC will. .

Ok - you have *heard* that they throw you face forward in the surf - but you have not actually given the BP/W a try. Why not try it out before judging the system. I dive a BP/W and would not consider going back to a jacket. The comfort and stability can not be matched.

Kimber

I just wanted to give an update - thanks for all the advice I got on this. Once Chris pointed out that I was "probably wearing a weight belt", I went to my LDS and bought a weight integrated BC, the Seaquest Libra. I've been diving in it twice now and I LOVE it. It's so comfortable, short enough in the torso that it fits well and doesn't ride up because of the integrated weights - perfect.
Thanks for the advice. all

TekDiveGirl:
Ok - you have *heard* that they throw you face forward in the surf - but you have not actually given the BP/W a try. Why not try it out before judging the system. I dive a BP/W and would not consider going back to a jacket. The comfort and stability can not be matched.

Kimber
I would love to try a BP/W out, especially in the surf. I was simply stating what I had heard from a couple people who have used the BP/W for beach diving- of which 90% of my diving consists of. Choose the right equipment for the job.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86860
While not a BP/W, it is a back inflate. These were rough surf conditions.
b. Back inflating BC. With an aluminum tank, this style of BC tends to push your face into the water and you need to make a concerted effort to roll on your back and “get up on the BC”. It takes practice and experience to handle this style of BC in the surf conditions that existed during the dive.

britusa:
I just wanted to give an update - thanks for all the advice I got on this. Once Chris pointed out that I was "probably wearing a weight belt", I went to my LDS and bought a weight integrated BC, the Seaquest Libra. I've been diving in it twice now and I LOVE it. It's so comfortable, short enough in the torso that it fits well and doesn't ride up because of the integrated weights - perfect.
Thanks for the advice. all

I love my Libra too... It is sooo comfy and the fit is great for a shorty like me. I couldn't be happier. The new ones also have the shoulder dump which is soooo convenient.
Enjoy! I know I will...

Scuba_Jenny:
I would love to try a BP/W out, especially in the surf. I was simply stating what I had heard from a couple people who have used the BP/W for beach diving- of which 90% of my diving consists of. Choose the right equipment for the job.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86860
While not a BP/W, it is a back inflate. These were rough surf conditions.

Well instead of quoting others why not actually try it? And I don't mean a half way -- well -- if it doesn't float you like your jacket does now -- screw it -- it sucks -- because I guarantee you -- it will feel different -- but it does not meant that it does not work as a proper piece of equipment for the job.

When I lived in San Diego the majority of my diving was beach diving with a good long surface swim. Funny -- I lived and love my BP/W! And still will not go back to a jacket BC I feel it is definitely the right equipment for the job.

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
Kimber

Question: I can understand your prefference for the BP/W over a jacket style BC. But how does your BP/W compare to a back infation BC. My BC has "wings" and all that is in front of me are straps. I keep weight in the rear trim pockets that weigh about the same as the stainless BP. The BC fits well and is confortable. So what do i gain with a BP/W?

Flexibility and KISS.

The plate/wing assembly allows the diver to adjust both the amount of inflation and amount of negative buoyancy carried kto suit the conditions encounterd on the dive. A unitized BC requires replacement of entire BC to change buoyancy. The B/W requires removing 2 screws and swapping the wing. All your other gear placemnt and muscle memory remains intact.

FT

Jenny, you really should let one of our local guys fit you out with a BP/W. I've loved mine so far. (For the rest of you, Jenny and I have dived quite a bit together off of the beaches between Hollywood and LBTS, and I just bought a DR Transplate with Venture Wing in October.)

The trick re: going face down is to not overinflate the wing. If you don't blow it up like a balloon, it works just fine. And with the right adjustment, there's no pitch and roll - it's much, much more stable. I also like the fact that with a steel tank and a steel plate, you hardly need any weight at all. Even with an aluminum 80 and a 3 mm suit in salt water, I only need 8 lbs on a heavy current day.

Mark, at Fill Express, will make sure that you're set up right if you want to rent one for a day. That's what I did, then I went out and bought one the next week.

Now we just need for the air to warm up for some beach dives!

-G

I'm 5'2 and would recommend the Oceanic Isla too. Men's BCDs just just fit the ladies as well with all the necessary curves we have. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom