Any Drysuit users self-taught?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too started when specialized classes weren't popular ( '82..83, wait i have to check my Paper log :D).

I think that classes are good if you don't have someone that you trust to give you some pointers and dive with you the first time. Do you really trust that instructor more than the guys you know that've been diving tech for several years?

It is different so be conservitive, just keep diving.

I too started when specialized classes weren't popular ( '82..83, wait i have to check my Paper log :D).

I think that classes are good if you don't have someone that you trust to give you some pointers and dive with you the first time. Do you really trust that instructor more than the guys you know that've been diving tech for several years?

It is different so be conservitive, just keep diving.

Well, nice first post there homey...welcome to the board where everything goes :) From Britney Spears to Cave 3 Tech diving.

I'd read everything I could on drysuits (because I read everything I can about just about anything). Then one day, I saw one on sale... and precisely my size, too.

It arrived on a Friday, just before lunch, so I rushed home and tried it on. It fit very well, although it took me probably 10-15 minutes to get it back off. (Thankfully, I don't have to punch an actual clock for lunch.) I headed back to work.

Well, it just so happens that I was heading to Florida for a couple days of boat diving. In fact, I was leaving that very evening. I resigned myself to having to dive wet one more time, since there wasn't time to get up to speed. Then I thought of something. The person with whom I was carpooling didn't get off work for another... hmm... four hours or so... and I'm sitting here with a new drysuit... and my parents have a pool in their backyard...

Well, I headed over to their backyard, all my gear (and lots of extra lead) in tow. A few minutes later, I was sculling around in eight feet of water, thinking, "You know, I should've bought a hood" (my hooded vest was obviously not going to work :biggrin:). I spent a tank of air sculling and looping and somersaulting. Rolling onto my right side and hearing all the air leaving from my shoulder dump became annoying, then became solved. I practiced everything I could come up with, and then, as if on schedule, I heard a great continuous "BWOOOOOOOOOOOOSH" sound.

I looked toward the surface, and wouldn't you know, I had a huge fountain of air coming from behind my head. Taking that as my cue to call the dive, I proceeded in a controlled fashion to the surface, where I inflated my BC and drysuit and then reached behind myself to turn off the valve before the tank ran dry through the blown O-ring. (I noted that I could indeed still reach my valve while in the water in the drysuit; I had tried earlier on the patio.) I doffed the gear and packed everything up for Florida.

Seeing as my first open-water drysuit dives were in the Gulf in 70-80 feet of water, I told my buddy that I'd like to ascend along the anchor line instead of doing a free ascent directly to the boat (as we normally do when there's no current). I also dove the suit with a bit more squeeze than I now consider normal (using my BC for buoyancy control), and I had a bit more lead than I "need", although when diving dry, there isn't a "right" answer to "How much weight should I wear?" -- you balance ballast against thermal comfort against gas-space management. (Note, however, that the "right answer" is ethereal, but the *wrong* answer is concrete: wear less than you need to stay down with a fully-exhausted suit and empty tank(s), and Neptune will extract his revenge in calories and air... or worse.)

Anyway, not using the drysuit as primary buoyancy means that I've never had an uncontrolled ascent. (I have had one downward-swimming shallow stop... until I found a nice big rock -- how convenient that dive was in a quarry, eh? :biggrin:) Now, I use my BC (wing) as primary buoyancy, but I intentionally send some air to my legs as well. That leaves me in a nice extra-stable tripod position, which makes for a very relaxing dive.

(Or, for the short answer, "Yes, I'm self-taught.")

Incidentally, there just aren't that many drysuit divers in Baton Rouge, it seems. I probably got better results by reading and learning from "real" drysuit divers on ScubaBoard than I would've had by taking a course from someone who rarely, if ever, dives dry. The best a course would be is having an instructor read the book with me and then tell me to follow the instructions. :biggrin:

When my usual buddy picks up a drysuit (which, I'm told, will be soon -- they don't want to hear about all my diving all winter *again*), they'll have the benefit of practicing with someone who actually dives a drysuit. Admittedly, I'm not an instructor, and I'm not going to recommend the "drysuit as primary buoyancy" method, but I have a feeling we're not going to have many problems.

Dry suit course? SCUBA course? Why?

I don't have a drysuit cert. I never will, either. Waste of money.

I had help from folks who dive dry, however. You don't need a cert for everything scuba, just some instruction.

If you need to rent a drysuit, they'll probably ask for a card. I don't have a card and would probably dive wet if I had to send my suit back for some reason.

Me "These deep dives are killing me my semi dry is paper down there"

Buddy "you need to dive dry, rent a drysuit"

Me "ok how does this work"

Buddy "air goes in here, and comes out here, turn this to adjust dump pressure"

Me "ok"

That was my drysuit class

bought one and never looked back, drysuit is common sense, only issue I could forsee that people need to be taught is the "bend and roll" thingy whatever technique you want to call it when your feet get away.

I won't knock drysuit classes as for a lot of people I'm sure it does some good, others can do it no problem, I learned tips and tricks on how to take care of it etc from friends, shops, and steve gambal (spell)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom