Any drysuit divers want to hit Travis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know or ever claim to know anything about line or how they are placed but I keep reading the people are pulling up others lines and for some reason it bothers me. If is a danger (rats nets in a tree for example) then I can see it being pulled but what if the line is in use when some one goes to pull it? Sorry but I learn along time ago to not touch other peoples things and to leave things that are above my pay grade alone. Sorry it just chaps my @$$ that some one would destory the lines you have put down with out consideration of the time effort and money envolved.

Man, somehow I didn't even think of that (no one would even consider pulling a line in a cave). If someone starts pulling a line that I am currently using, they'd better be a fast swimmer.

I was thinking about when I am trained to us lines what would I do if someone started pulling it out as I am on it. I was wondering if you just go with the line and see who is pulling it or give a few sharp tugs to let them know there is some one on that line. Either way I imagine the end the puller is on has been cut so now do you trust the line to lead you out?

Hmm, they don't really cover that in cave classes. The reasoning is that if someone is trying to kill you, they will probably succeed.

As a hypothetical, tugging at the line might not be such a good idea, what if it's someone who is stuck and you've just made it worse? If it's some jerk pulling your line, you may just pull it out of his hands and now you've got slack line everywhere (an actual entaglement hazzard). The best response in either case would be to turn around and end your dive. If you end up finding someone stuck on the way, help them; if you find someone pulling your line on the way, pull their weight pockets :)

Of course the jerking of the line could be coming from the other direction (would probably be hard to tell with a taught line), if you have the gas, turn again and investigate repeating the procedure above when finding the source.

The only line I can proudly say I ever cut is when some j-***** ran pink line from platform 1 to platform 2 at Barstows, 8 feet off the ground! Then I saw more of his or her line laying on the bottom and tied off to platform 3, and the spool was on there (a cardboard spool, most likely kite string or twine. Now, that gets me going when you run line out there when there's open water classes out there all the time. I just pictured a group of divers snagging the line with their tanks like a Navy plane catching the cables on the deck of a carrier. Other than that, I love following lines and watching them terminate on a rock that looks like Lincoln, or a scoreboard, or a "Jungle Gym" or a nice tree...

So, back to the original thread;
Had a great dive with you Sharkster. It was also nice to see Wet Willie and Sub Zero again. I'm glad no one had to drive to far, since the vis was less then what was posted a week ago. I'll look forward to doing it again soon.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom