Any diving near Ft Hood / Temple Tx?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
Is there any diving in this area? I will be working there for 3 weeks and do not know if i should bring my gear?

Let me know thanks

From the Ft. Hood area, it's probably only an hour's drive to Lake Travis. The local Austin dive shops conduct their OW classes there, and AOW classes from all over the eastern part of the State go there (It's plenty deep!)

I've been in Lk Belton a few times. If vis is OK it's not too bad for a little treasure hunting. But vis was only 2-3 feet last couple trips. Lk Stillhouse to the south may be a bit clearer but I have not tried it lately.

In addition to Travis, San Marcos is about another 25 miles south of Austin (90 miles south of Hood). It is a shallow (less than 10 ft) clear spring fed river with year around temp of 68 to 72. It's my favorite local site if you don't mind a little current.

Anybody with a flexable schedule that would be intersted? I can drive, just dont know when I could get away. I will be staying in Temple, Tx from 6 Feb- 22 Feb.

The weekend of 15-16 Feb is probabley going to be my best chance to dive. I would even be game for a local night dive.

be a 'night' dive...regardless of the time of day.

It's a balmy 54F, if that helps.

Viz at Stillhouse Hollow was about 15' in late summer when I was there. The good diving requires a boat. There is a dive shop at the Marina called Scuba Diving Paradise, the owner/divemaster/etc. will take you in his boat for a fee. You may want to call to check if they're open this time of year. Unfortunately, I don't have the number offhand...

Mark

Is there any body who is wanting to dive any of the local areas? There is a dive shop in Temple, Tx but I have not yet been able to talk to them about any thing going on in the area.

Folks some of you have been very helpful. Since apperantly the local lake conditions are not good. I am open to suggestions for places in the Area 3-4 hr drive that would make a good trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom