Any disadvantages of soft backplate for tropical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems that every manufacturer offers nearly identical ultra light soft backplates. They all look more or less the same, although I'm glad folks have mentioned confirming the spacing of the bolt holes. My Oxycheq wing has 10.5" spacings, and Zeagle specs the Express Tech plate at 11". I wonder if Mares and Apeks match either spacing? Neither list the spacings on their websites.

And yes, I plan to add a crotch strap, although read somewhere I should use softer (less stiff) 2" webbing to cut down on wet suit wear.

you can, though on wetsuits with little lift requirements, you can often get away with 1" crotch straps without them being uncomfortable. I have one on my transpac with travel wing and it works well and isn't uncomfortable at all. Without a wetsuit it's a bit less comfy, but in a 3mm it's fine.
The Dive Rite padded crotch strap is my favorite of the lot and is what I use on the rigs that don't have split crotch straps *for DPV diving*. Splits are great, but unnecessary unless you are on the trigger for hours on end

My Dive Rite TravelPac has a padded lumbar pad that adds to buoyancy (implication: add more weight).

GJS

My Dive Rite TravelPac has a padded lumbar pad that adds to buoyancy (implication: add more weight).

GJS

easily removable though, so you can remove that with no issues. back padding is really unnecessary in general unless you are hiking with your rig. If you're walking less than 100m until you're in the water, padding is completely unnecessary, even in doubles

easily removable though, so you can remove that with no issues. back padding is really unnecessary in general unless you are hiking with your rig. If you're walking less than 100m until you're in the water, padding is completely unnecessary, even in doubles

Yes, I have done that; most of the diving I do is from a boat.

Take care

GJS

Last edited:
I modified three of our harness/plate set-ups to use the Zegle "Split Saddle" crotch strap for our trip last week. Worked wonderfully, and got positive comments from the wife (who loathed the standard crotch strap), and the daughter. I really liked the ability to adjust it once in the water.

dberry:
My Oxycheq wing has 10.5" spacings, and Zeagle specs the Express Tech plate at 11". I wonder if Mares and Apeks match either spacing? Neither list the spacings on their websites.
It seems odd that your Oxycheq wing would have 10.5" spacing, since the 'standard' is 11", and the manufacturers that I am familiar with all use 11" - more or less depending on manufacturing variance. My Oxycheq wings have 11" OC grommets.
dberry:
And yes, I plan to add a crotch strap, although read somewhere I should use softer (less stiff) 2" webbing to cut down on wet suit wear.
You can use softer 2" webbing. You can also fit a softer neoprene sleeve over the coarser webbing. In addition, you can also use 1" strap, rather than a 2". I personally prefer the 1", in fact.
I modified three of our harness/plate set-ups to use the Zegle "Split Saddle" crotch strap for our trip last week. Worked wonderfully, and got positive comments from the wife (who loathed the standard crotch strap), and the daughter. I really liked the ability to adjust it once in the water.
Now, that is interesting. I like the Split saddle strap on my Zeagle Ranger. Never thought of trying to adapt that approach on any other rig.

I was just on Bonaire and dove an OxyCheq Ultralight Travel Backpack
OxyCheq Ultralite Travel Backpack

and a Dive Rite Short Delux Harness
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/oxycheq-ultralite-travel-backpack/
Short Deluxe Harness

with a high end snorkel vest under it (as a safety precaution). I got my weighting perfect and found I didn't need anything else (no wing). I did add another cam band to the OxyCheq so mine has two and each has a couple of weight pockets so I can get my trim perfect as well.

Last edited:
I was just on Bonaire and dove an OxyCheq Ultralight Travel Backpack OxyCheq Ultralite Travel Backpack with a DiveRite Short Delux Harness http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/short-deluxe-harness/
with a high end snorkel vest under it (as a safety precaution). I got my weighting perfect and found I didn't need anything else (no wing). I did add another cam band to the OxyCheq so mine has two and each has a couple of weight pockets so I can get my trim perfect as well.

Does the snorkel vest allow you to inflate and vent underwater ?

Now, that is interesting. I like the Split saddle strap on my Zeagle Ranger. Never thought of trying to adapt that approach on any other rig.

I have a tendency to over design stuff, but I used these:

upload_2017-4-21_10-3-12.png
along with a SS 1" (?) split ring for making the attachment point for the front on the waist webbing. The female buckle of the saddle assembly has a loop in the webbing I threaded on the split ring (didn't use the bolts). This clip allows me to re-position the assembly if needed vs. punching a new hole. Also, I use the clip as a stopper for a DGX vertical pocket that holds their DSMB/spool/slate/etc. Quite slick I might say...

YMMV

Does the snorkel vest allow you to inflate and vent underwater ?

Yes it worked fine. The vest I got has a one way valve for inflation on the left shoulder (oral but no more difficuly than a SMB) and has a dump valve on the right shoulder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom