Any deep quarries in DC/VA/MD area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guppy isclosed as far as iknow, sub in potomac usually has1-2 ft of vis

I thought Guppy was still open, and in any case the OP wanted to break 100 ft. Guppy only goes to 80.
Willow Springs in PA is also shallow.
Mt Storm in WV could get you to 100 ft, but it is no longer open unless you dive from a boat. (No shore access)
Hyde's Quarry (MD) and Rappahanock/Fredricksburg (VA) are both too shallow.

I thought Guppy was still open, and in any case the OP wanted to break 100 ft. Guppy only goes to 80.
Willow Springs in PA is also shallow.
Mt Storm in WV could get you to 100 ft, but it is no longer open unless you dive from a boat. (No shore access)
Hyde's Quarry (MD) and Rappahanock/Fredricksburg (VA) are both too shallow.

100 is not necessary. Anything more than 60 ft depth would be a good place to dive and check new equipment while not being in a quarry you have been a hundred times before. Rappahanock sounds good as long as it gives 60.

Hydes is 57 max, thats the quarry i did check outs and dove many times, its closed til april, unless you're friends with shop owner, it has ice now, we might dive there this weekend to do some ice diving, unless im going to florida

Hydes is 57 max, thats the quarry i did check outs and dove many times, its closed til april, unless you're friends with shop owner, it has ice now, we might dive there this weekend to do some ice diving, unless im going to florida

Is the ice thick enough to be considered "ice diving?"

. . . Mt Storm in WV could get you to 100 ft, but it is no longer open unless you dive from a boat. (No shore access). . .
The old shore access was a little dangerous, anyway. You had to climb down a fairly steep slope, fully rigged up, just to get to the water. And while someone had gone in and put a couple concrete steps in, they were irregular, and didn't help much.

As for Mt. Storm itself, all of the local (within 2-3 hours) dive shops use it for their check out dives. It holds the "waste" water from the local power plant, and its fairly warm year round - I've seen people dive it in swim trunks. Plus, people have built up an area to dive through. There are four platforms, one at 25' down, two at 50', and one around 90'-100'. Navigation lines connect them all, and to several other manmade things to see (one's a motorcycle, deliberately submerged as a memorial).

There were plans to submerge a school bus, too - but that may have fallen through. That was right around the time the lake was closed to us (temporarily), and one of the guys who was really gung-ho about the idea got busted for multiple felonies in the interim. So . . .

As for how deep the lake is, I've run into people who've made it down to about 112' (when the weather's right). However, visibility gets to be an issue. There's a lot of silt in the lake, and the catfish have learned that divers mean food . . . and not just from handouts (local divers often prank each other by slipping chunks of hot dog into each other's pockets). It is kind of fun to watch someone get mobbed by hundreds of catfish, though.

Mt. Storm is kind of in the middle of nowhere, though. Other than the power plant, and a gas station, its pretty much farm country. On the bright side, that means you can get really great produce, if you pass through at the right time of year. The last time I was there, I picked up some really great sweet corn from a roadside stand . . .

Edit: I just pulled it up on Google maps - Woodbridge is about 2.5 hours east of Mt. Storm. Or if you've heard of Deep Creek Lake (or the Wisp ski resort), Mt. Storm is about an hour south of there.

Last edited:
I have personally been to 126 ft several times at MT Storm in the trench out from the deep platform. It's dark but vis was for the most part decent. I have had as much as twenty feet of clearer water while doing some planned solo deco dives in it at the bottom. Water temps of 80 degrees. The silt on the bottom in the trench is at least five feet deep. We measured it trying to set up a deep nav course a few years back. When the power plant turned mgmt over to WVa DNR everyone except boaters got screwed. Including the local businesses. It's whyI go to Ohio for deep.stuff now. Or Erie. it was a totally unnecessary knee jerk reaction. A little understanding and a few dollars spent on a bulldozer and some sand would have solved it and made everyone happy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I dive Bainbridge a lot and work there part time in the summer. You easily hit 120, right now you prob hit 130 easily with how high the water table is. The viz right now is over 25 feet and better at depth. Also as others said MT storm use to be a very nice dive as well and I hit about 120 in the trench which is easy to find, though I have not been there since the issues with shore access.

I think I maxed at 95 feet in the silt at the U1105. The vis is bad, but I'd love to dive it again. I also plan to go to Mt Storm sometime this summer - maybe camp somewhere around there.

Let me know if you want to dive either of those Aziz. I also want to try to find my anchor that I lost while diving the Potomac near Mt Vernon with the Institute of Maritime History. It is near a wreck no deeper than 18 ft.

Here is my toy that we can dive from (good for 2 divers)

My boat1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom