Any decent Provincetown dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelad

Registered
Reaction score
Heading out to P-Town for the weekend this coming Friday. Anyone know of decent shore dives out that way? I searched the forums and didn't find much in the way of recommendations.

We're pretty new divers so anything relatively easy/beginner level would be great.

The wisenheimer in me wants to make some sort of double entendre' crack based on the title of your post, but since you are probably serious, I'll leave it alone.

Since you are pretty new divers, I'd recommend staying inside the harbor. There is a wall dive off the Race that you may want to visit some time in the future. It is a drift dive that drifts you over large expanses of sand. There is not a lot to see on this dive except there are toilets scattered everywhere. (No, I'm not kidding.) And just like in a box of crackerjax, there is a prize inside the toilets usually in the form of a large crusteascean. Sounds cool right?

THe drawbacks are many. Current, and a lot of it, can bring you to the bottom of the wall if you aren't watching carefully. Since the bottom is 180 feet away, you probably don't want to go there. Plus, incureing an unexpected deco obligation on an AL 80 is never a good feeling.

Fog can and does roll in in the blink of an eye, seperating you from your chase boat if your captain isn't careful. Surfacing and looking around and seeing nothing but gray can really bum you out.

If you haven't drift dove before, the open ocean isn't the place to try it out for the first time.

There are a few wrecks inside the harbor, but (reportedly) the vis sucks and they are falling apart.

PTN

Alright, so lobster-filled toilets and drifting out to sea are basically what we have to look forward to? Sounds good. =)

Thanks for the info. This is more or less the same info that I found online after I posted my question. Think it might be best to look at stopping somewhere (Sandwich Beach, etc.) on our way out to P-Town.

THe southeastern recreatioal lobster area is defined as a line from the Truro cell tower westsouthwest thru the Wood End buoy, northwest to the Race Point buoy, northnortheast to the three mile juristitional limit and folowing the 3 mile limit down Cape. In this area there is no max size. There is still a minimum carapice length, and as always, your gonads have to be large enough to stick your hand in the hole after him.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_lob_areas_062804_bw.pdf

Thanks, Scubar. I checked out that post a couple of days ago, but it sounds like it's a bit out of our league in terms of experience (we're still newbies). I'm hoping to find something a little more "entry level". If not, we may just consider not going out quite so far on the Cape.

Sandwich Town Beach.

I recommend setting up by the girl in the gold foil bikini by the second boardwalk. You will know you are in the right spot when you get there. Trust me.

paulthenurse:
Sandwich Town Beach. I recommend setting up by the girl in the gold foil bikini by the second boardwalk. You will know you are in the right spot when you get there. Trust me.

I have no idea what this means, but I'm taking your advice as I'm sure it'll make sense when we get there. We've decided on Sandwich Town Beach - sounds like a cool beginner's dive.

Thanks for the advice!

STB

park between the bathroom and the old snack bar. gear up at your tailgate and then walk up the path over the small dune and into the water.

Dive at High Tide (you can also jump off the boardwalk bridge)
Slight North Current (towards canal)
Very Calm in South Winds (even on a windy day)
look for lobster/flounder/skate/stripers

I have also noticed that Striped Bass will follow driver around looking for an easy meal. You may even be able to feed them some crab meet out of your hand.

not sure about the gold bikini either! :0)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom