Any day-trippable dives within striking range of Jackson, MS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xdjio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have family in Madison, MS and will likely be down visiting in the summer as I usually do a few times a year.

I'm curious if there's any two-tank dives I could hit easily in the course of a day (even if it is a long day with some driving). I'm used to chilly saltwater up here in Vancouver BC and would be keen to try something else for a change. I'd need to rent cylinders, suit, regs etc but have most other things.

Any recommendations? My thanks in advance!

To get clear water, you need to go pretty far out from Biloxi/Gulfport or travel East to Gulf Shores. It is rumored that if you go out past Ship Island off Biloxi, the viz gets significantly better. My 2 cents after living in Hattiesburg for a year and driving to Gulf Shores to dive.

Thanks folks - that's helpful information. If I decide to do any dives, I'll give a post to look for buddies closer to the date. Best wishes and thanks for the pointers!

Thanks folks - that's helpful information. If I decide to do any dives, I'll give a post to look for buddies closer to the date. Best wishes and thanks for the pointers!

I'm in Brandon, MS. (15 miles from Madison give or take)

The closest place to dive is Alabama Blue Water. It's a fresh water quarry in Alabama. You can drive to the MS coast in the same timeframe but you then need to charter a boat somehow. You will have to go out a good 40+ miles to get to clear waters. I've dove off the MS coast several times and it's a great dive on the rigs. You will drop into 10' of crappy viz and then hit a 40' top/bottom area that's 80'+ viz. Not bad IMO. The life on the rigs is nuts.

Pensacola is probably your best bet though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom