Any comments on the Drager Ray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Extreme,

Ron's tmi site has a wealth of information. About the Dolphin.
Visit the link below to see a CCR modification made to a Ray,
including mounting two tanks parallel to the scrubber.
Mounting tanks, changing BCDs etc. are one thing, a CCR conversion
something entirely different. They squarely fall into the "Don't do
this at home (unless you really understand what you're doing)"
category. CCR training and skills are required to dive them.

http://www.vk4tub.org/tubby/Barry_Ray_Dolphin_CCR/Ray.html

caveseeker7:
a CCR conversion something entirely different. They squarely fall into the "Don't do this at home (unless you really understand what you're doing)" category. CCR training and skills are required to dive them.
Yes, and to add further to Caveseeker's comments, don't blame Kerry if things go up the creek, guys. He's very kindly allowed people to see how he and his friends have done things, and has had enough problems with Aqualung as it is already. I'd hate to see him decide to remove his pages due to stupid errors made by some diver on the other side of the world.

Jetsam:

THIS DEVICE IS CPAPBLE
OF KILLING YOU
WITHOUT WARNING

fins wake:
... don't blame Kerry if things go up the creek, guys.
Of course you can't blame Kerry. He just shares some experiences he has in building and diving his rebreather. Same as Ron Micjan. Blame yourself.

Simple equation: CCR training is between$1000 and $2000. If you think your life ain't worth that much, skip training and kill yourself then you
a) have in fact proven you're too dumb to live,
b) your life was in fact not worth more than $1000 and
c) any claims by your or your relatives should end up in small claims court !

Richard Pyle in a '97 eye-opening post:
" WHATEVER happens to you when you willingly go underwater is
COMPLETELY and ENTIRELY your own responsibility!
If you cannot accept that responsibility, stay out of the water!"

gkndivebum:
My main problem with the Oxyguage and the Ray is the placement of the sensor -- on the
*bottom* of the scrubber cannister, which is both wet (condensation) and O2-depleted.
You have to do some arithmetic with the reading to get your "real" PPO2. Because of the
wet location I've had the sensor go bad very quicky (~3 dives). Doesn't do it for me.

The Oxy2 sits on your inhalation hose, giving you a reading of what you're breathing,
though you do need an Air Z O2 (or Air X O2) wrist unit.

TechMe is here: http://www.tecme.de/zubehoer.htm

Best regards -

This seems to make a lot of sense - I have ordered the uwatec and the adapters from Techme.

Thanks for the advice.

Greg

gkndivebum:
My main problem with the Oxyguage and the Ray is the placement of the sensor -- on the
*bottom* of the scrubber cannister, which is both wet (condensation) and O2-depleted.
You have to do some arithmetic with the reading to get your "real" PPO2. Because of the
wet location I've had the sensor go bad very quicky (~3 dives). Doesn't do it for me.

The Oxy2 sits on your inhalation hose, giving you a reading of what you're breathing,
though you do need an Air Z O2 (or Air X O2) wrist unit.

TechMe is here: http://www.tecme.de/zubehoer.htm

Best regards -

Yo can spin the cannister and hook up to the loop, reversing the flow through the cannister. The moisture is soaked up in the scrubber and the gauge reads what you are breathing.

extreme:
I was looking at the ray configuration and realized that it would not be that difficult to remove the BCD that comes with it and attach a backplate and wing with single tank adapter for the scrubber canister and mount bail out and main air bottles to the backplate. The breathing lungs could be encased in some sort of nylon with zippers for access. Has anyone done this and if so could you post any photos of your "creation"

Thanks.

Extreme out.

Did you get enough pictures? You don't have to lose the BCD.

Hi!

If you want to see what you can do with a used Ray machine visit my hompepage: www.wern.com/hunchback

I like the Dräger parts, they a simple and good enough to get the job done. If you want a simple CMF rebreather, buy a Ray and modify it like I did. Good luck and happy diving!

//C

caveseeker7:
Scrubber size/duration is
1,125kg/110min @ 30L/min according to their German website.

Does anyone have a link or something to a document confirming the 110min duration? I've heard it in a few places, but just can't seem to find anything "official".

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom