Any chance to see a Peregrine Ai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Continuing the discussion - so both the i770r (TFT) and Peregrine(LCD) have almost the same form-factor but the Aqualang is priced at almost twice the Shearwater just for AI…

One question I have is suppose I decide to train for 40m deco dives before deciding on the purchase of a tech DC, will either Peregrine or the i770r allow that or lockout for the next 24h? (I think the i770 will lockout not sure about the Peregrine)…
Pereegrine most likely will not lock you out, as their other computers don’t, and Shearwater tends to implement the same changes to the firmware. I believe that the Perdix and Peregrine use the same firmware.

The difference is that the Peregrine does not have the tech display and some of the modes available. It should have no trouble with deco using air or Nitrox, but can’t do trimix.

But, as others stated, as long as you do the required stops, your computer should not lock you out.

Continuing the discussion - so both the i770r (TFT) and Peregrine(LCD) have almost the same form-factor but the Aqualang is priced at almost twice the Shearwater just for AI…
In that case, you are close to Perdix AI pricing. That will definitely ,eep up with however far down the tech rabbit hole you plan to go.

One question I have is suppose I decide to train for 40m deco dives before deciding on the purchase of a tech DC, will either Peregrine or the i770r allow that or lockout for the next 24h? (I think the i770 will lockout not sure about the Peregrine)…
If you're doing this as a precursor to making deeper technical dives using trimix than you're better off going with the Perdix or Teric, both of which can accommodate AI. The Peregrine is Shearwater's "low end" computer for recreational diving. I used a Petrel for a few years because Shearwater only made computers that could be used for technical diving. The battery chamber flooded so I had to replace it and chose the Peregrine. It's a bit smaller than a Perdix, has an internal rechargeable battery and a well designed wrist strap. Other than that it is almost exactly like a Perdix or Petrel in recreational mode.

The i770r runs the PZ+ deco algorithm, a proprietary version of Buhlmann. It is moderate or middle of the road in the conservative to liberal spectrum. It runs approximately like a Buhlmann GF high of 85. The computer cannot be made more liberal. Its conservative setting is very, very conservative. The "Deep Stop" option is worthless to you. It will lock you out for a missed deco stop, not corrected within 5 min, and put you into violation gauge mode for 24 hours. Of course, you should not miss deco stops. Though the i770r could support you through early tech training, say advanced nitrox and decompression procedures, its algorithm would likely not match that of other students or your instructor.

The Peregrine, Perdix, and Perdix AI run Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors. There are presets of 45/95, 40/85 and 35/75, as well as custom settings. These computers will not lock you out for a missed deco stop, same warning as above. The majority of divers pursuing technical training and their instructors, will likely be using a computer running Buhlmann. There are other unique offerings on the Shearwater computers that many find useful, SurfGF, tissue loading graph...

Best of luck in your purchase

Nice to see a thread that voices exactly what I am after… I think I can wait one more year in the hope that Shearwater will bring a Peregrine-AI. Else I will consider the i770r which looks like a close cousin on the design front.( I already own a transmitter so my choices for a compatible DC are very limited).
This computer already exists and it comes with a compass.

Thank you All that replied - for your educated and informed responses. I think I will wait one more year for a PeregrineAI or some other new model. As I said I already invested in a wireless transmitter some years back so my choices are limited to those DCs compatible with Pegalic Pressure Systems.

Also a point to note: the Perdix does not have vibrate function for alerts, something I came to find super useful when I had my peregrine. Not that I totally rely on the vibrate per se, but it was hugely useful for confirmation of events I knew were about to happen, such as low NDL or safety stop etc.

Back
Top Bottom