Any chance to see a Peregrine Ai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't think it did. I could see a niche for a rec computer with all the bells and whistles for less than the Perdix. From a consumer standpoint it would be less of a computer than the Perdix, from a manufacturer standpoint it's a Perdix with less software. So it makes sense from either side.

I didn't think it did. I could see a niche for a rec computer with all the bells and whistles for less than the Perdix. From a consumer standpoint it would be less of a computer than the Perdix, from a manufacturer standpoint it's a Perdix with less software. So it makes sense from either side.
Honestly how many trimix divers are trained in the world per year? I just can’t imagine it’s that big of a market…

Honestly how many trimix divers are trained in the world per year? I just can’t imagine it’s that big of a market…
I don't understand? I agree with you, but I don't understand your point?

I don't understand? I agree with you, but I don't understand your point?
I believe the point is that if the Peregrine did almost everything that the Perdix does except for Trimix, that would be a fairly small group of divers who would pay more for the Perdix. That would not be so good for Shearwater's bottom line (though pretty great for us recreational divers).

I believe the point is that if the Peregrine did almost everything that the Perdix does except for Trimix, that would be a fairly small group of divers who would pay more for the Perdix. That would not be so good for Shearwater's bottom line (though pretty great for us recreational divers).

I guess that makes sense, but from the manf standpoint it would be a perdix (hardware wise). What they should really do is sell the perdix with less software and when the time comes you can upgrade (at a cost) to get that functionality of trimix.. Say sell the perdix with Peregrine software for ~ $600-$650 and then upgrade software for whatever the difference is. They wouldn't have to "reinvent" anything, and the end user could choose how much "dc" they really need.

I have no idea what it costs to build a perdix, so I'm not sure if they'd still be making $... but I would bet they'd still be making out alright. The only downside is, you don't get to sell a whole other dc. I know there's other dc that do that...

That would fill that niche where someone wants Ai and compass for a little more. Idk... just thinking out loud...

a peregrine AI would cost virtually the same as a perdix AI to manufacture, the software difference is basically zero cost to shearwater, so a cheaper peregrine AI doesn't make any business sense if rec divers are already buying the perdix AI or teric over the peregrine for AI

I don't see the situation changing until if a competitor gets their act together and sells a dive computer that actually represents stiff competition to the shearwater line

a peregrine AI would cost virtually the same as a perdix AI to manufacture, the software difference is basically zero cost to shearwater, so a cheaper peregrine AI doesn't make any business sense if rec divers are already buying the perdix AI or teric over the peregrine for AI

I don't see the situation changing until if a competitor gets their act together and sells a dive computer that actually represents stiff competition to the shearwater line
You think that the Ai and the compass in the perdix cost ~ +$500? Amazon lists the Peregrine for $495, the Perdix AI for $995... I don't see $500 in a digital compass and Ai chip? Do you think they're that much?

I know for myself the cost of a perdix was really daunting when I 1st started.. a perdix for less with the ability to "upgrade" software in the future would have been appealing, probably to a lot of people. Buy what you need without fear of having to buy again later... almost like a payment plan. Hell if it was really cheap for parts, sell the perdix for $495 with the ability to be able to "turn on" the compass and Ai for more $... Idk, I honestly don't know what those parts cost.

I think ratio has the iX3M that does this? The issue is their "easy" is so close to what a perdix would cost. But I like the concept. I really like that you can use it to analyze gas with an added sensor.

of course not, manufacturing cost is always less than retail else nobody would be turning a profit

the point is that the hardware cost would be nearly identical for a peregrine AI and a perdix AI once you add the compass and AI in (the case is a bit cheaper for the peregrine) and since the software is already sunk cost, that adds zero marginal cost.

so why should shearwater sell a peregrine AI for less money and lose a bunch of profit and sales of the perdix AI or teric?

software unlock codes are not loved by consumers and if a significant amount of your clientele ends up not upgrading, you end up losing money from the higher up front manufacturing cost.

Besides, Shearwater could increase the sales of the (SWIFT) transmitters
I doubt it. The much cheaper PPS generics works just fine....since the rec divers you want to support are single-tank people.

so why should shearwater sell a peregrine AI for less money and lose a bunch of profit and sales of the perdix AI or teric?
Some people will never need trimix. SB is a little biased (obviously). We all spend time on here like a bunch of junkies because it's scuba. 99% of divers probably don't do that. Honestly some people get overwhelmed with something like a perdix and they look elsewhere to start with.

If you could sell to a larger market, even if you're selling something less than say what the Perdix sells for, but you're still turning a profit, then why not? Why sell ~ 100 of something for $1000 when you could sell 1000 of them with less features for ~ idk. ~ $700?

People who want the features of a perdix / teric will always be drawn to them... but if you're not going down that road you might look at something less expensive that already fills that void?

Most rec divers want nitrox, compass, and Ai... they really don't need anything else.

I own a perdix, I'm super happy with it... my wife will never want or own one. She says it's too much. She's a recreational diver. Now if I showed her a Peregrine she'd probably love it, especially if it had Ai (she could care less about a compass, lol).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom