Any bone experts out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found this bone at Lovers in Monterey, CA. It's about 11 inches long and 1 1/4 inches wide at the widest point. Does anybody know what it is or want to venture a guess?

nkw5:
I found this bone at Lovers in Monterey, CA. It's about 11 inches long and 1 1/4 inches wide at the widest point. Does anybody know what it is or want to venture a guess?

It's a mammalian rib bone - seal, sealion, dolphin...?

That's about the right size for a dolphin's rib. I don't know enough about pinniped antatomy to hazard a guess.

Being Monterey, it's probably a sea lion rib. I've got a neat sea lion canine tooth I found at the Breakwater several years ago - pissed my buddy off because he didn't spot it first :D

nkw5:

Biting my tongue on this one...To bad this is a family oriented board...LOL :11:

Yep, it's definitely a mammalian rib, either cetacean or pinniped.

I ain't no expert on most land animals either, but I wouldn't rule out one of them as being the owner of that bone. It doesn't necessarily have to be a marine critter. One of the lakes I routinely dive in has some big bones in it from cattle and bison. You'd be surprised what gets washed down from rivers, or deposited into the oceans via other routes.

I'm reasonably sure it's a sea lion rib, the size and curviture are pretty close to a perfect match.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom