Any Advice on this set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any actual reasons so we may all learn from your experience?

Sorry about that, long day. Probably the least useful post I've written.

Jacket BCs are hard for me to adjust, have pockets that I can't access and d-rings I don't need. Additionally, a plate of metal with a simple harness is significantly cheaper yet sufficient.

Console and retractor based computers require a hand to use and view, whereas a wrist computer can be used when all hands are busy, such as an air sharing situation. I've been told that a console clipped to a shoulder d-ring doesn't have this problem, but I'm not sure what this means at night.

Integrated octo/inflators are functional, but inconvenient. In an air sharing situation, I want the most convenient and easy to use selection available. It's not how often it comes up, it's how much it matters when it does.

Thanks for all the post. It has changed me a little. When I mean wreck dives I mean smaller wreck where I won't be exploring the inside of an air craft carrier. More like small wrecked shrimping boats.

Also about the black Diamond, I am thinking of ditching it and going with the Pro LT instead. I was trained in a hybrid and never had any problems with it. I messed around with a knight hawk some in a pool yesterday an sometimes it seemed to only want to inflate one side. Also the Pro LT will save me about $200

On the regulator side of it I think i may switch over to the Titan LX. It seems to be almost identical in design to the Legend LX but is another $200 cheaper.

As for an octo. I dove with the Air 2 and really liked the streamline of it so I may go from the Legend octo to the Airsource 3.

As for the Cobra. I messed with it some in my LDS and really seemed to like it. I like the fact of air integration and knowing exactly how much time I have left since I am new to all this.

I will price out the gear I talked about here and see how much of a difference it is compared to the $1800 i listed first off.

I'd recommend trying an air sharing ascent with the air2 from real depth, like 100', and do the stops on the way up. It's possible, but just more work than I'm confident that I can handle under stress.

It's true, it's not fun, I've done it a few times, but I'm an instructor and in each situation the other diver was a divemaster in training so hopefully we're both more comfortable in the water than some divers.

skip AI - its a crutch! Learn and refine the basic skills. AI is (IMHO) best utilized in a heavy task loading scenario (such as a videographer/photographer) where a significant amount of focus (pun intended) is needed on tasks other than diving. And by then, skills should offset the need anyways....

Get the basics now, and the money you save should get you in the water diving more, refining your skills.

Later on, you may identify something you need through awareness, rather than marketing or speculation.

I think going with the Titan is a fine idea, but do not expect to be able to use that regulator for technical diving -- the hose routing for doubles is awful. As a single tank reg, it's great value for money.

You can buy a complete single tank backplate system from Deep Sea Supply for about $450. Add an Aladin Tech 2G computer (sometimes available for less than $300) and a Suunto SK-7 compass, and you're good to go for a lot less than $1800.

I second the titan, its a great reg and I have an older model and it works great. Cruise e-bay for a backplate with a wing, I got mine for 125$ and its a older dive rite rec wing, but it works and I love the thing. TSandM hit the perfect setup for cold water and it will be light and fit in carry-on.

Forgot:

Dive Gear Express | Equipment for Experienced Divers

this place is great, they have good service and its affordable.

You've got a good start and sensible choices. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you end up with.

For the BC, I too thought being able to keep it and go doubles was a good feature when I was starting out. Turns out, its ridiculous. Doubles are just so heavy, you are going to need a BP&W if you go that route, so either start with one or accept that you will need to replace it if you do go to doubles.

For the reg, good choice there. I also suggest taking a look at the Apeks XTX50.

For the computer, I like air integrated. Having air time remaining is an interesting thing to look at, but it is also very unrealistic because it can significantly change as you ascend and it doesn't really take into account an ascent profile. Nevertheless, that's what I dive. I do second the suggestion of going with a wrist mount. I dive a Vyper Air. Its basically the same as a Cobra 3 except that its wrist mounted. Its one less dangly thing and its easier to glance down. All my information is right there on my wrist. No fiddling required.

I almost forgot about the airsource, there is nothing wrong with them. I dove an SS1 for a long time. I would recommend putting a slightly longer hose (like a traditional octo length) on your primary because that is what you will donate.

Is it as comfortable sharing air on a safe second for an ascent from depth than, say, a long hose - no. But, it can and is done. Just be sure to practice every once in a while breathing and venting from the safe second.

With the air integrated wrist computer and the safe second, you do get a very compact and streamlined reg package.

I use a Sherwood Wisdom, which is an AI console. The "air/time remaining" feature looks good on paper but I would think it's as hypertech suggested, unrealistic.

In my own experience, if my dive plan is as simple as descend-dive-around-until-50bar-ascend then time remaining is irrelevant. For slightly more complex recreational dive plans, turn around and ascend are based on gas remaining and not air/time remaining, so air/time remaining is again irrelevant. I simply can't figure out how air/time remaining might be useful for me.

Digital tank pressure measurement is neat in that I can calculate my SAC rate more accurately, but then I have only done it once and twice in the last 12 months or so.

My Wisdom is serving me well. However, the air/time remaining feature is IMO nothing more than a gimmick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom