Any Advice on this set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cprince90

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at buying the remaining of my gear within the next 2 weeks. This is what I like so far.

Seaquest Black Diamond BC

Aqualung Legend LX REG

Aqualung Airsource 3

Suunto Combra Computer

I can get all this for around $1850

That price is from the shop I went through training with. Other shops I called were at $2200+

I plan on mostly wreck and reef dives. I seem to like the Black Diamond because if I want to go with twins in the next few years I easily can. My local dive shop pushes Scubapro more than Aqualung, but it doesn't seem as nice to me. His primary was leaving out as soon as he opened the tank. After a few minutes of hitting it, it freed up.

Do yall think the gear is good and will last a long time, or should I look into other options as well?

If you think you're serious about possibly going to doubles,... You might want to look at a simple BP/W set up with a single tank wing, to start. When you are ready for doubles, you only need to get the appropriate wing for the diving you will be doing. Trying to use a BC for doubles/ technical can be done, but usually isn't as clean & streamlined. The harness of a BP/W can be cutomized to you're own fit. The Black Diamond is a rather bulky BC. Apeks (a division of Aqualung) has backplates, harnesses & wings. Just a suggestion for another route to look at.

good gear. and should last you a long time as long as you take good care of it. there's pros & cons to every brand out there, it really just comes down to what you like. (and what you can afford) have fun with your new gear! keep diving.

To second what Tammy said. If you plan on going the tech route and even non tech serious wreck diving forget the BC. There are a number of BC's that the mfg says will work with doubles. Fact is they don't. They are not secure enough, usually cannot be adjusted properly, and are in no way a stable enough platform for heavier steels. In addition if you plan on using aluminum doubles the BC will actually add to the amount of weight you need to carry.

In addition the Cobra is a console computer. Going tech will mean you need to get wrist mounted gauges. Find a wrist mount computer that will do a nitrox mix. Put your spg on a 24-26 inch hose and get a wrist mounted compass.

Thinking along the eventual goal of tech forget the integrated octo. Expensive, bulky, and not appropriate for air shares in a technical setting. Get a standard octo of equal quality to your primary and start out with a 5ft or 7 ft hose on the primary, Bungeed octo on a 22 inch, and a BPW.

For comparison from me:

HOG 32lb singles wing 209.99
SS plate 89.99
Two Tank bands 40.00
HOG Harness with crotch strap 79.99
HOG single tank reg pkg 449.99 incl 1stage 2 2nd stages, 5 or 7 ft hose, 22 inch octo hose DIN yoke adpater, bolt snap, and I'll even throw in one of my custom reg necklaces.
2 inch spg with hose& bolt snap 69.99

total for items I carry = 939.95 and shipping is on me.

And since it's mail order there's no sales tax, and don't know that that is in California but here's it's 6% so that saves you another 56 bucks -That will pay for your wrist compass!

I don't currently carry a computer so you could even go with something like this :Hollis DG02 Nitrox Computer Bottom Timer

Not only will it do everything you need as a new diver but when you go tech will make a fine back up bottom timer. for 270 bucks. total for everything of which none of it will have to be replaced if you go tech is 1209.95.

Now you will need to get a doubles wing when you finally get there but that's only another 200 bucks.

the ONLY item you've got on your list that could possibly transition over to 'tech' diving is the Aqualung Legend reg......everything else you will have to sell/scrap or put in reserve as spare recreational-only gear. VERY few divers, however ambitious/well intentioned, ever really go the 'tech' route, the VAST majority of divers remain recreational divers and rarely pursue any certifications beyond NITROX and Advanced Open Water, so my suggestion is to go ahead and buy your recreational gear, do a fair amount of diving, get experience, and see in what direction you really ultimately head in the years to come. If you really go the 'tech' route, the amount of $ you are planning to spend today on your recreational gear set up will be extremely trivial relative to the sums you will eventually spend on tech gear/training....tech diving is NOT for the financially challenged!

Do yall think the gear is good and will last a long time, or should I look into other options as well?

I think you've made great choices.

The Legend is a solid reg and; if you like it, can be paired with another for back gas regs in the future. It's easy to service and like all Aqualung/US divers regs will last a lifetime.

Black Diamond BCD: Very solid again. I've seen a lot of equipment and for Recreational kit Seaquest/US divers is top notch. You won't regret buying it. Again should last you. However it's not really suited for tech, but sometimes you don't need an all in one kit.

Suunto Cobra: Well It's a Suunto so that's good. Very conservative dive computers and do exactly what they say on the box. However I would err for Suunto Zoop as your first purchase for a dive computer rather than an Air Integrated like the Cobra. The reason? If the battery shorts for any reason you lose not only depth, time, but air pressure as well. Better to have a standard SPG and maybe a back up analogue depth gauge so you can monitor depth on case of a computer failure. The Zoop should be around same price, hopefully cheaper, and will do nitrox as well.

I would swap the Cobra for a wrist computer, I think most find it easier to use in the long run....

I think when you go tech you will be buying a complete new rig, keep this rig for your non-tech diving......

M

Last edited:
I either have or have had pretty virtually identical items to what you have. I have a Black Diamond, Legend Supreme LX, AirSource 2 and had a Cobra. They are all great pieces of gear. I have to climb over rough jetty rocks while helping students and it all takes a beating. I'm also pretty bad about cleaning, storing and maintaining my gear (I'm an instructor, so that makes me a pretty bad role model :( ) and it has all lasted just fine. I've done some easy wreck dives and plenty of reef dives and have been happy.

As others have posted though:
  • While the Black Diamond CAN do doubles, the system is pretty terrible. If that's what you want to do, go BP/W or sidemount that can do regular tanks too like this one from Hollis Hollis SMS 100 Sidemount System BCD
  • The AirSource is awesome in how streamlined you will be, but know that it is definitely an emergency ascent reg. You won't want to attempt to do anything but surface while breathing on it, mostly due to comfort.
  • The Black Diamond is on the heavy side for travel and doesn't really compact very well. While I love it dearly, I'm constantly debating getting something less bulky for travel purposes.
  • I moved from the Cobra to a D9 (wrist computer, hoseless air integrated). While others like to caution on a failure now meaning you [-]will die[/-] don't have air info also, if you check your air every minute or so, you should have a rough idea of how much you had should a computer die. Regardless, you'll surface and be fine. I've done hundreds of dives on air integrated computers (mostly all Suunto's) and have never had a computer die on a dive and if it did, I'd surface safely anyway. The convenience of having 1 less hose is nice.

Despite those not really negatives, that is a great setup, but not for moving into tech.

[-]I hate BCs, hate console computers and hate integrated inflator/octos. I wouldn't buy any of that gear, and I certainly wouldn't pay 2 grand for it. YMMV.[/-]

Edit: see below for a more reasonable response.

Last edited:
I hate BCs, hate console computers and hate integrated inflator/octos. I wouldn't buy any of that gear, and I certainly wouldn't pay 2 grand for it. YMMV.

Any actual reasons so we may all learn from your experience?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom