• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

any advantage/disadvantage of a black skirt mask

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by dougr52, Jul 8, 2010.

1. dougr52

dougr52 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    well thanks for info everybody, the vote is about 9 to 1 in favor of black skirt mask, so i ordered one today with diveoptx [stick ons]...

2. Damselfish

Damselfish ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    perhaps among the vocal on this board, not necessarily in real life. Better to choose by trying them...

3. lmorin

lmorin Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Sounds right to me. I'm also a photographer who prefers clear. I like any extra boost to my peripheral vision I can get even if it is just incidental light coming through the skirt.

eleniel likes this.
  4. vladimir

vladimir ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    A low-volume mask with the lens close to your face, like the Atomic frameless, might increase your peripheral vision dramatically, depending, obviously, on what you've been using. A translucent skirt, much less so.

5. trigfunctions

trigfunctions Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I usually dive with a clear skirt mask, and the first time I dove with a black mask I felt very claustrophobic. I've gotten used to it, but I still feel more comfortable with a clear skirt.

That said, a clear skirt allows light to come in from the side, which can cause a glare on the inside of the mask. In addition, since more light is coming into the mask, your pupils will contract and you will actually feel like you see less. With a black mask, your pupils are more open and you can see more contrast.

6. din7

din7 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    a black skirt is very slimming.

7. Jens Brogaard

Jens Brogaard Garibaldi

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    10 years has passed... If you like Philips ambilight then your choice is clear...!

8. DeepSeaExplorer

DeepSeaExplorer Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I prefer clear because I can see shadows thru the skirt. More than once, I’ve turned to see fish and other divers that I would have missed otherwise. A black skirt feels like tunnel vision.

eleniel and apenland01 like this.
  9. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I want a white skirt. Tried the apeks and tusa paragon and they both leak more than I will tolerate.

Best fitting mask for me is Atomic's Venom. Wish it came with a white skirt...

10. John C. Ratliff

John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Of late I've been using my silicone Scubapro tri-view mask (see my avitar). Why? Well, because I like the three-window mask, and because it hasn't melted like my black neoprene mask of the same type. I'm also happy that people are reading this ol' thread, as it is still applicable.

SeaRat