any advantage/disadvantage of a black skirt mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When diving in the shallows (specially with light sand bottoms) in tropical waters it can get painfully bright (sometimes I wish I could get underwater sunglasses), a dark skirt kind of helps like the black near the eyes of football and baseball players.

Some people feel a dark skirt limits their field of view, and some have called it claustrophobic.

I prefer a dark skirt.

I would second everything said about internal reflections from a clear skirt. What a lot of people don't realize is that clear skirts were developed originally for underwater photographers--not for the photographer but for the subject so that the photographer could easily photograph the diver's face with natural lighting. So if you are a photographer, use a black skirt, and give your subject the clear skirted mask.

SeaRat

How do you get the mask on the shark???????

:D

C'mon, let's get down to the real reasons.

Before he got certified at age 14, our son wanted a clear skirt mask so he "could see the sharks coming from the side." :D He's now 19 and hoping to see sharks, but is still partial to clear.

Daughter is partial to black, so you don't see a snotty nose. I agree. :D

Wife has always been partial to clear, for some reason.

It's a matter of personal preference. Some of the people I dive with find they get clausterphobic in the black skirted mask. Personally I like a dark skirt low volume mask.

I prefer black.

Any piece of clear gear eventually becomes discolored. I've heard, but never tried, that wiping it down with vinegar will get rid of the discoloration.

Some might see that as a disadvantage as it encourages the buddy to shine their light at your face rather than in front of you where it should be.

I agree, but I had to come up with one advantage. :D

Here is how I explain my black silicone mask to people. I have them stand outside with the sun above them (shining down onto their face). Have them look at something, then take a hand and in salute style, place it above their eyebrow. The "shade" that is created gives them improved colors and clarity without the glare. Same with a black skirt mask.

Another pro for it is in lakes and quarries where the viz isnt the greatest anyways - it helps to see in it more so than with a clear skirted mask.

I am NOT a fan of black/opaque skirts on masks -- especially in dark waters -- almost precisely for the reasons people give for liking them -- they block too much light.

a. Want to see if your buddy is still beside you? Check the reflection in the corner of the mask -- often you'll see either the bubbles which are wonderful light reflectors -- no change in position (head or otherwise) -- just a quick swing of the eyeballs.

b. Need to signal your buddy? Sometimes, due to ambient light or other issues, shining your light onto the mask is the best way (or only way) of getting attention. The black skirt prevents that. (And no, by using the clear skirt, the light is just reflected giving the person the notion there is a signal -- not a blinding of light.)

I don't get people who want to cut out light -- light is good!

I don't get people who want to cut out light -- light is good!
Anybody want to buy my RayBans? :wink:

The only down-side I have heard mentioned of a black-skirted mask was that it would reduce your ability to see tunnel-vision (a symptom of Oxygen-Toxicity).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom