any advantage/disadvantage of a black skirt mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougr52

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am contemplating buying a xs scuba fusion guage reader mask.. i can get it with a black skirt instead of clear, what are the advantages/ disadvantages of a black skirt mask??:confused:

It doesn't show scunge inside your skirt. Of course, that means scunge grows without removal.

I prefer an opaque skirt that light cannot shine through.

In brightly lit water light will shine through a clear skirt and you will see reflections of your face in the lense, which obstructs the overall view. Dark skirts prevent this.

Another advantage I have personally noticed is marine animals shy away when they see your eye's. A dark skirt makes the inside of the mask darker and your eyes less visible so animals tend to come alot closer which is a bonus.

Advantages:

- less glare/reflections inside mask
- less distraction from shapes/movement you can't actually see through skirt
- better for photography (easier to see in viewfinder)
- you look cooler, as mentioned above

Disadvantages
- Um...
- Uh...
- Yeah...
- I got nothing.

Advantages:

- less glare/reflections inside mask
- less distraction from shapes/movement you can't actually see through skirt
- better for photography (easier to see in viewfinder)
- you look cooler, as mentioned above

Disadvantages
- Um...
- Uh...
- Yeah...
- I got nothing.
thanks for info,
that is exactly what i was trying to find out about !!!!!

The only advantage that I have seen of a clear skirt is at night, a buddy can shine the light on the edge of you mask and you WILL notice it.

The only advantage that I have seen of a clear skirt is at night, a buddy can shine the light on the edge of you mask and you WILL notice it.

Some might see that as a disadvantage as it encourages the buddy to shine their light at your face rather than in front of you where it should be.

Pros:

Doesn't discolor...
Reduces glare and is less taxing to the eyes in very bright conditions
Looks cool
Less distraction from seeing stuff through the skirt

Cons:

You don't like black
Can be a bit Claustrophobic

SangP

I would second everything said about internal reflections from a clear skirt. What a lot of people don't realize is that clear skirts were developed originally for underwater photographers--not for the photographer but for the subject so that the photographer could easily photograph the diver's face with natural lighting. So if you are a photographer, use a black skirt, and give your subject the clear skirted mask.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom