Antimalarial drug prophylaxis needed for Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are Antimalarial drug prophylaxis recommended for Cozumel? I will be there the end of April.

I took an Antimalarial drug prophylaxis (I think it was Chloroquine) when I dove in Roatan the end of May a number of years ago.

Mosquitoes dearly love me---and yes I used DEET, and applied it frequently.

Doxycycline is not a viable option for me as I became extremely sun sensitive after taking this antibiotic in the past---I live in Phoenix the valley of the Sun in Arizona and my GI tract was not at all happy either!

Just wondering if others were taking Antimalarial drug prophylaxis or not!

Of course I will check this all out with my health care professional too!

Thanks, an AZ diver

Not that I know of. I have been there a number of times. I know a few people there now. In all the publications about cozumel I have never seen a recommendation for anti-malarials.

I have seen their mosquito's though. They are similar the coastal Texas mosquito's that can drain a quart of blood in one sitting. I had a stronger than normal reaction to being bitten a couple years ago.

TwoBit

i went to coz last year, and my mom is a bit of a overly catious so i had anti-; malaria, typhoid (sp?), and hep. A?. had a nasty reaction from the anti typhoid pill.

Unless specifically directed by your doctor, there is no reason to take malaria chemoprophylaxis on Coz.

As for mosquitoes, they generally are not a problem in town. However, the north, south & east sides, ruins, golf course, and some of the beach areas do have them and they can be vicious, especially around dawn & dusk.

If you wish to avoid mosquito bites, you might find the following informative. It's an edited version of my "Ask RSD" column in the Oct '99 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving:"

"Mosquitoes can be a real bother, not to mention that they are sources of some serious tropical diseases.

The danger & bother of insects can be substantially reduced by these precautions: (1) Wear long sleeves and pants, avoiding dark or bright colors, especially at dawn and dusk. Protective clothing such as the "Buzz Off" brand can be useful. As an extra precaution, you may treat clothing with permethrin; (2) Try to stay indoors at dawn and dusk when many flying insects are most active. When making reservations, make sure the resort has screened windows/doors; (3) Wear insect repellent. The best protection against these and other insects is full strength DEET. Some divers like things such as Avon's Skin-So-Soft & Cactus Juice, less toxic products than DEET, by the science is solidly behind DEET for lasting effectiveness; (4) Avoid scented toiletries and perfumes; (5) Upon arrival, treat your room with a bug bomb such as Shelltox or Fish. You can touch up with spray after that as needed.

If you do get stung, bathing in or applying colloidal oatmeal, which can be purchased at the pharmacy or grocery store, may afford some relief. Follow this by the topical application of hydrocortisone cream/lotion (prescription strength preferred), as directed. If you do not have or cannot use hydrocortisone, Calamine lotion with menthol can be applied. You may also find benefit from a nonsedating oral antihistamine. Of course, it is best not scratch at your bites

Remember that if you have a severe allergic reaction, don't get substantial resolution from self treatment, or the eruption seems to be getting worse or infected, you should seek medical attention in a timely manner."

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom