Antigua: Dive boat leaves behind two scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, you make very good points. I have training in SAR, from a boat point of view. I understand how difficult it is to see someone in the water. In my SAR training, we learned to take the LKP (Last Known Position) and apply set and drift, from the nearest buoys or from tables, to determine our datum point (where the object should be after nature acts upon it). But, we don't take into consideration (indeed, we don't do that planning, we let the Coast Guard RCC do it) someone hanging on a buoy, or swimming to a specific point. But then, we usually don't have buoys in the search area. We are generally looking for other vessels, not PIWs. We are often dispatched from an area that is not going to take us directly over the LKP, especially if the search isn't going to start until the next morning. It would be possible for them to have tied onto a buoy or something, but I don't recall taking that into consideration when heading for the datum from a different side of the LKP. So, being on the opposite end is something new to me. I'll be drift diving for the first time in Cozumel next week. I think all this is very appropriate. I do have the sausage, mirror, strobe, flashlight, and whistle. I'm debating getting the air horn device (scubalert?) before I go. I will be with my LDS, and I think we'll stay as a group, so that will also help.

Thanks again for insight from a diver's point of view.

Thanks BladesRobinson :thumb: very informative. I knew some of that, but not well enough to explain like you did, and - I learned, too. Always try to here. :wink:

it is not the responsability of the dive crew to supply divers with a safety sausage on a trip. unless it is stated that you need one before hand than they might carry extras. also if you know you are going out on a boat and dont bring some protection from the sun, thats your fault. all the boats i have been on useally have a water coller full of water on it for the divers. but giving them waterbottles for use in the water is a far streach. i can see if they were doing some kind of deco and was carring a camelback with them, but you shouldnt need one on a 30 min dive. next who knows if they paid attention to the pre dive breefing. they might not of heard them talk about the diver recall that the boat does when its time to get back onboard. not trying to hold the divers at fault here, the crew should of stilldone some kind of roll call or head count before pulling anchor.......

David.... Can you share where you are a dive master at so I can make sure NOT to go there.

Diving is peaceful, relaxing and potentially disasterous if you are left behind !
In addition to having a buddy, I always chat up another buddy-pair and ask them to make sure me and my buddy are back and tell them we will do same for them ! Then when I am diving buddy-less I buddy up with the dive-master and stick to him like glue !

When I dove in Freeport, I made sure that I had all my safety gear, and it fuctioned. I wore a FLUORESCENT colored bandana and made sure I talked to the DM and Captain. I changed my bandana with each set of dives. I was definitely the noticeable one on the boat. I also made it a point to say to the DM, if you don't see this bandana on your boat, then you best go get my butt below! Yknow, we are all responsible for our own safety and we should always keep in mind what we should do in the worst case scenario. What is amazing is that I always saw shore where we dove. Granted, it was a few miles away, but I am in a great floatation device and I have fins. It might take awhile, but I would make it into shore, but I also have a huge SMB which clips nicely to my left lower side D ring. Was this a sensational story? Yes, but it was a reminder that anything can happen and that not panicking and being prepared makes all the difference. I do hope they sue Sandals, regardless, they were the ones most negligent! It just makes us a little more dilligent to choose operations that make safety a priority rather than a hindsight.

Happy, Safe diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

I dove this year in Antigua at the Jolly Beach resort, I don't remember the dive resort name but it is on the the resort property, head counts after each dive were very positive and done twice, extremely professional...

uncaged

Always a good idea to have your safety equipment. Always a good idea to be noticed. There was a diver lost in PR in the current this summer where the crew did everything correctly (He was not left and the search was started very quickly) and he still was not found. Maybe if he had a safety sausage or a mirror or whistle or all he might have been found.

Still as in many of these threads you are your own most important buddy. Talk to everyone (including the Capt. and DM) you can on the boat, get noticed, carry your safety gear, minimize your chances of such an event.

These events are rare; do what you can to prevent them. And then have fun!

In August I dove in Aruba with an operation that will go unnamed. they didnt take head counts. I asked about it and the one young divemaster said she counted the people in her head. very unnerving. Naturally Next day new dive operator, they were A+
Guess thats another question i need to ask in advance

Back
Top Bottom