Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought you just used Ammonium Bicarbonate and Toothpaste?

Link to specific toothpaste?

If you used additional ingredients, links to them?

I'm looking for a recipe. A recipe that I will not end up finding out after the fact that produced a different result than yours because I did something slightly different. Used a different toothpaste that had some different ingredient that "maybe" made the difference. Etc..

I want to know that I'm making the EXACT same compound you made. Otherwise, how will we know why, if I get a different result.

It is all about ammonia, but OK...

I used the above toothpaste and ammonium bicarbonate 1:1 by weight, 20 grams each. Stir endlessly in a medicine vial with a Korean metal chopstick. :wink: Vial shown. You will end up with a crumbly gritty mixture.

Add tap water by drops with stirring until the mix will just pour. Over time (days) add a drop or two of water as needed to keep the stock mix pourable. There it is front-to-finish.

Does the mask contain enough off gassing paste to stink up the house with ammonia smell, or does it seem innocuous?

How did you wash it off (before you put it in the dishwasher)? Just running water? No soap of any kind?
Oops. I overlooked this question.

Mask taken out of box from manufacturer, added seasoning cream, left undisturbed for three entire days, sprayed off cream with kitchen sink sprayer (no soap), tested for fogging. Placed into dishwasher's upper rack and ran one standard cycle including dry. Rinsed dry mask quickly with tap water and noticed that the treated lens sheeted water while the untreated lens still beaded water. See pic in post #876.

Sorry, I missed where you said how long you soaked in ammonia? My lens come out so I can just soak them in a bowl.

Remove the lenses, soak them for 3-5 days in clear household ammonia. Ideal situation. Let us know if/how well it works for you.

DO NOT soak any hard plastic, non-silicone plastic parts. Silicone is fine with ammonia, several hard plastics have been found by other posters (and myself) to be damaged by ammonia solution.

Remove the lenses, soak them for 3-5 days in clear household ammonia. Ideal situation. Let us know if/how well it works for you.

DO NOT soak any hard plastic, non-silicone plastic parts. Silicone is fine with ammonia, several hard plastics have been found by other posters (and myself) to be damaged by ammonia solution.
I'll do that, I started them in an open bowl and I noticed the next day there was much of an ammonia smell to it.

Back
Top Bottom