Anthony's Key questions ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, that's a good reminder - about the cover-ups. I seem to always wish I'd brought one more or a different one! I guess I can wear my sneakers with socks in the evenings. Loving the sounds of very casual ... feels like I'm 'off gassing' stress as I count the days ... thank you!

Actually, that's a good reminder - about the cover-ups. I seem to always wish I'd brought one more or a different one! I guess I can wear my sneakers with socks in the evenings. Loving the sounds of very casual ... feels like I'm 'off gassing' stress as I count the days ... thank you!

Don't forget sunglasses, I know that is unlikely but if it is dark, cold, and foggy when you are leaving home you could forget to bring them. That happened to my husband one trip and we spent a lot of money on a pair of sunglasses in the airport store!

Thanks @KathyV. I usually have a super cheap pair pre-packed - and then I take my RayBans that the dog chewed up about 5 years ago - and then I wear my 'good' glasses that turn dark in the sun (don't want those on the boat). Someday I'll get new prescription sunglasses, but I'm not quite ready for it. I figure when I do, that's when I'll lose them or they'll get destroyed!

Don't get too carried away with extra cover up clothes. I've been there when a norther came down with huge winds and even then, all I needed was a thin sweater just to cover my shoulders.

I'd rather lather my feet and lower legs in baby oil and/or deet, so that the little suckers drown than wear leggings.

I get too hot!

Don't get too carried away with extra cover up clothes. I've been there when a norther came down with huge winds and even then, all I needed was a thin sweater just to cover my shoulders.

I'd rather lather my feet and lower legs in baby oil and/or deet, so that the little suckers drown than wear leggings.

I get too hot!

I've got these Eddie Bauer pants that are lightweight that dry fast. I had two pair - but one shrunk while in storage so I guess I can wear the one pair over and over as needed (at least they're black). :wink:

I get too hot!

Not me, I'm allergic to mosquito bites, I would rather be hot than get bitten and the mosquitos on Roatan may be carrying malaria!

I was on Roatan from Feb 1-7 on the southside. It was cloudy and very windy. The first day on the boat I froze during the surface interval because I didn't have a windproof jacket or dry shirt to put on between dives. The water temp was 81-82 but air temp only was in the upper 70s. By the end of the week, the sun came out and temperature was in the mid-80s, but still windy. I also carried deet insect repellant in individually wrapped single wipes so I always had them on my person. I would need to replenish the insect repellant after I got off the boat and before taking care of my gear and walking back to my room. Instead of deet,, a lot of people swear by Repel natural lemon eucalyptus repellent. What works seems to be dependent on the person.

I was on Roatan from Feb 1-7 on the southside. It was cloudy and very windy. The first day on the boat I froze during the surface interval because I didn't have a windproof jacket or dry shirt to put on between dives. The water temp was 81-82 but air temp only was in the upper 70s. By the end of the week, the sun came out and temperature was in the mid-80s, but still windy. I also carried deet insect repellant in individually wrapped single wipes so I always had them on my person. I would need to replenish the insect repellant after I got off the boat and before taking care of my gear and walking back to my room. Instead of deet,, a lot of people swear by Repel natural lemon eucalyptus repellent. What works seems to be dependent on the person.

And don't forget how cold it can be in airports! On our recent trip to Cayman, we were flying over to Little Cayman from Grand Cayman and we were stuck in the airport for hours due to weather delays. All we had with us was the 15 lb carry-on that you are allowed on the tiny Twin Otter planes. I was wearing shorts, sandals and a t-shirt and I was freezing in that airport and I just got colder and colder as the hours dragged by.

I had a pair of yoga pants with me that I was able to wear but I was still cold. I finally went to the gift shop and spent a lot of money on an ugly windbreaker that was labeled "CAYMAN" in big letters on the front, back, and up and down the sleeves - but at least I felt warm! Happily the weather cleared up and we had a lovely trip.

BTW, I also use individual insect repellent wipes, they are easy to carry and apply!

Off Familycare is what I used at Anthony's key the last time I went. It worked exceptionally well, I don't remember a single bite. We saw others at the resort who had not used bug spray and they were literally covered in bites. It looked pretty miserable.

Off familycare is a deet based bug repellent, but it's a little weaker than deep woods off. It smells a little more pleasant and feels a WHOLE lot nicer on your skin. It runs about $6/bottle here in the US. Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/OFF-FamilyCare-Insect-Repellent-Smooth/dp/B005MGRMZS (same price at local stores usually)

Anthony's key does sell bug repellent in their little shop. It was some brand of "environmentally friendly" stuff (no deet). A lot of the folks who were with our group when I was there used this stuff and said it worked pretty good.

Batteries. Bring batteries if you have anything that takes them (AA, AAA, C, D, etc). We ran out of AA batts and the camera shop sold out the second day we were there. I wish I had brought more batteries.

Medicine. Although AKR does have a medical facility with a re-compression chamber onsite, they do lack for basic OTC medicines. Antacid, cold medicine, seasickness meds, etc.. bring your own. We ran out of something (I can't remember which of those, probably antacid) and the shop didn't have any for sale. Also their medical facility didn't have anything. Luckily another diver had some and helped us out.

Thanks for this info - I'll pack my rain jacket (it seems to insulate pretty well). We have the lemon eucalyptus but I plan to get the regular deet stuff too, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom