Anthony's Key questions ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're headed to Anthony's Key next month and we noticed the night dives are 'moored', and that made us wonder if the dives during the day are drift dives. Yes? No?

Also, anyone who has been in the winter months, are the bugs pretty bad? We already bought our bug spray - just wondering what to expect. If you have any other helpful info to share I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

During my winter trips to Roatan, bug "problems" were more intense depending upon how the weather had been. If it had been rainy but was drying out then, yikes.

You should just assume that they're going to be bad and prepare for it. Don't go out at dusk. Don't stand around on beach detritus or wooden decks.

No-see-ums always bothered me, but we usually go in June or July. Al most all their dives are moored.

We were just there in November (for the third time). Most dives are moored; occasionally they will do a drift dive, but currents are not strong.
Bugs were pretty bad in November, worse than I remember from spring trips. On the Maya Key excursion day, be sure to pack bug spray. The bugs are awful there even if there aren’t many at the resort.

I found at the resort, I was getting bit at dusk and dawn. Mainly on my calfs and ankles.

Most of the sites are moored. You might drift to another site and be picked up there. The only live pickup dive was over on the west side of the island.

On the night dive, purge your regulator as you come up to the surface,it will push the jellies away. Those that were covered in neoprene got stung alot! As they thought they were protected, but in reality, they brought the tentacles with them and spread it over their bodies getting undressed, or stuck between layers. I was in swim trunks, and not a mark.

_R

Noseeums are always bad on Roatan. Some people are bothered more than others it seems. Pretty much all dive are from a moored site. Divemasters take you out and return you to the boat. On rare occasions you will drift but the divemaster will always return you to the boat. Have fun!!

My wife is ultra paranoid about mosquitoes and sprayed all of her clothes with permethrin before our two trips to Roatan (one to AKR in February). She also doused herself with repellant. She wasn’t bothered by bugs at all. I took absolutely no precautions and wasn’t bothered either, but I seem to be naturally repellant. Or maybe she literally rubbed off on me. I made the mistake of kissing her neck after she’d applied permethrin and got a mouth full of that awful stuff.

Not a lot of current at all during our two Roatan trips so definitely no drift dives for us.

Remember to also bring some long pants, socks and shoes, and a light jacket. We tend to think of sandals, shorts, and tees for tropical vacations - but the biting insects are often the worst at dusk and at night - and wearing some lightweight protective clothing can help a lot. Just packing a pair of sweatpants or yoga pants, a light jacket, and some socks and tennis shoes can be very useful. Sometimes they bite through the clothing but it does add some protection.

Don't just bring bug spray, remember to bring an anti-itch ointment also - to treat the area when you do get bitten.

Countdown to next Saturday (2/15) ... just want to make sure I'm packing the right clothing. Nothing fancy. Shorts, t-shirt/tanks for the daytime when not on the boat; leggings or lightweight pants and lightweight long sleeved shirts for night (for bugs); socks, sandals, hat for good measure. Am I missing anything? I don't need dresses (sundresses) unless it's something I just WANT to wear, right? Very casual?

Looking forward to getting my head under the water where there are no voices ... other than my own ... and I'm working on that one!!! :wink:

Countdown to next Saturday (2/15) ... just want to make sure I'm packing the right clothing. Nothing fancy. Shorts, t-shirt/tanks for the daytime when not on the boat; leggings or lightweight pants and lightweight long sleeved shirts for night (for bugs); socks, sandals, hat for good measure. Am I missing anything? I don't need dresses (sundresses) unless it's something I just WANT to wear, right? Very casual?

Looking forward to getting my head under the water where there are no voices ... other than my own ... and I'm working on that one!!! :wink:

Swimsuits and cover-ups, too! I know that's a silly reminder, but it's important!

Maybe add a lightweight jacket in case it is windy and chilly - but I hope not!

Since you listed "socks" I'm assuming that you will also have a pair of gym shoes (or other casual shoes) that will cover your full foot and not just sandals - because feet may be a prime target of the biting insects.

No need to bring sun dresses unless you want to; it's very casual.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom