Trip Report Anthony's Key: Eat, Sleep, Dive, Repeat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We ended up tipping on our credit card, out of necessity. For each of us, the total came to a little less than $350.
If I may ask, what percentage does that come out to of the total cost of the package with AKR?

If I may ask, what percentage does that come out to of the total cost of the package with AKR?

That's a pretty healthy tip. The last couple trips to AKR cost us about $1300 each under the BOGO deal. So 15% of that total would be about $200. That total includes 19% tax and some people tip on pre-tax total.

I think we went a bit heavy on the dining room staff. But three meals per day, for seven days? Think what that would have come to in restaurants.

By way of one anecdote, we ordered breakfast one morning but we’re in a hurry to make the morning dive. When we saw we weren’t going to make it, we grabbed a couple of bananas and a muffin and headed for the dive boat. 10 minutes later, as the boat was about to pull away, our waiter arrived with our breakfasts, packaged to go, and handed them to us as we were leaving. Unbelievable.

Good Trip Report. To find the Hill Superior rooms when you go up the stairs go to the left and another left and a right and they are at the top. We have stayed those rooms the last 2 times at AKR. Quiet and easy to get to the Restaurant. Your report reminded me of the first time my wife and I went to AKR. When I read that it was an AI I thought "No way am I going to a place with swim up bars and people slathered in grease baking in the sun!". Glad I was wrong. We stayed in Cabin #32. No A/C, but a beautiful ocean view. ALL the staff is gracious, helpful and willing to please. The owners take care of their staff and it shows. We have been back 7 times in the past 10 years and everyone is so glad that we keep coming back, and they seem to remember our names.

One thing I will tell you, is you liked Roatan scuba, try the Aggressor next time. May cost a bit more but you get to dive the sea mounts (too far from a day boat), and Utila. :)

Your review made me feel like i went back to AKR :cool:
You MAY get to dive the sea mounts or Utila. Absolutely NO guarantee and most likely you will not get to.

Even if they say it is in their plan, the trip to Sea Mounts is completely weather dependent and I have had several excursions from West End to Sea Mounts cancelled due to weather.

If the goal is to dive Roatan, then stay on land. If you want to go to the Sea Mounts, sign on to a one day excursion. If the goal is to have a liveaboard experience, I can think of much better destinations than Roatan - like the Maldives where you can get a week on a liveaboard for less than the Roatan Agressor

RA - 1 week / $2,995 USD Roatan Aggressor Liveaboard, Honduras - Divebooker.com

Carpe Diem in the Maldives - 8 days/7 nights $2,266 CAD for the same week. Carpe Diem Liveaboard

And with the cancellation of Air Transat (aka cheap charter flights from Canada), there is no longer a big difference in flight prices to Roatan or to Male from Montreal.

Back
Top Bottom