Trip Report Anthony's Key: Eat, Sleep, Dive, Repeat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I'm psyched to try The Aggressor.
Thank you.

Many thanks for the detailed review.

A couple of questions:

• Were the dives a fixed time, or 'dive your tank' (ascending when a given PSI was reached) -- and if so, what were the average dive times?
  • Were the dives group & guided, or self-sufficient buddy pairs, or something in-between?

One thing I will tell you, is you liked Roatan scuba, try the Aggressor next time. May cost a bit more but you get to dive the sea mounts (too far from a day boat), and Utila. Plus they let me borrow the spear to take out lionfish several times
Roatan Aggressor, all in: $3200 +
AKR: $1800

Yep, a bit more.

Here’s where the RoAg moors 4-5 days out of 7:

C64FB340-3E83-4356-B55E-A9722FC397B8.jpeg

Parked at the same dive sites CoCo View uses, 4 out of 7.

CCV is also for $1800
(the RoAG is still $3200)

I’ve done AKR, CCV, and a prior Roatan LOB ship. Recommending the RoAG over AKR and not considering CCV first is… odd?

Being handed anything to hunt Lion Fish is a violation of the Roatan Marine Park regulations. Maybe skip mentioning that next time?

Great OP and trip report, AKR deserves more attention than it receives here. Derailing it with a Live Aboard thing is a way different discussion.

Many thanks for the detailed review.

A couple of questions:

• Were the dives a fixed time, or 'dive your tank' (ascending when a given PSI was reached) -- and if so, what were the average dive times?
  • Were the dives group & guided, or self-sufficient buddy pairs, or something in-between?
You are most welcome.

The pre-dive briefing mentioned a suggested general time, probably based on average air consumption. However, when doing a there and back dive, the dive master always asked for the first person to reach the halfway tank point to signal as much. Then we would turn around and head back. For the drift dives, he would ask us to signal when we had 750 psi left in the tank.

The dives were mostly group and guided, with no issues if buddy pairs wanted to go and explore some. It was always good to stick close to the dive master as he had a great guy for life that we would have gone right past.

Roatan Aggressor, all in: $3200 +
AKR: $1800

Yep, a bit more.

Here’s where the RoAg moors 4-5 days out of 7:

Parked at the same dive sites CoCo View uses, 4 out of 7.

CCV is also for $1800
(the RoAG is still $3200)

I’ve done AKR, CCV, and a prior Roatan LOB ship. Recommending the RoAG over AKR and not considering CCV first is… odd?

Understood, but AKR won't take you to the sea mounts or utila. Plus 5 dives a day vs 3. And only set up your gear, take it apart one time versus each day.

Yes, there's pros and cons to everything.

Either way i enjoyed both trips there.

Methinks AKR is due for a visit late June..... Week of the 19th? Anybody else going around late June?

OMMOHY

Understood, but AKR won't take you to the sea mounts or utila. Plus 5 dives a day vs 3. And only set up your gear, take it apart one time versus each day.

Yes, there's pros and cons to everything.

Either way i enjoyed both trips there.
Try “that other place” that I mentioned before planting your flag. 5 dives and no set-up, as well. Hmmm. Time for a third visit? This try CCV?

Excellent review! I have only day dived with AKR and found them to be a well-oiled machine. My only gripe is the strictly limited dive times, although that is to be expected with a large, cattle-boat operation.

Excellent review! I have only day dived with AKR and found them to be a well-oiled machine. My only gripe is the strictly limited dive times, although that is to be expected with a large, cattle-boat operation.

That's part of the "oil" in making sure the boats get back to dock at a certain time so that then next departure leaves on time. In my experience in 3 trips, the hard limit was at 60 minutes and the guide had you back under the boat at 40-45 minutes with the rest up to you. Some were ready to get out then but we always maxed out. We did stretch out some dives 65-70 minutes and nothing was said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom