Another "Which 1st Camera" Question but, I know exactly what I want!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoadWarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
I have another "Which 1st Camera" question but, I know exactly what I want!

I'm not new to cameras but far from being a photographer. I am totally new to underwater photography. I understand F-stops and shutter speed reasonably well. I know what white balance is. I'm an amateur graphic artist and hobbiest. I've been a PhotoShop user for 12 years. I've been diving 4 years. 46 logged dives. We dive the carib 1 or 2 times a year. Dived Florida once so far but plan to dive there another 3 or 4 times a year.

My desires:
1. Easy to use - almost point and shoot
2. High quality pictures. Would like uncompressed RAW format but not a requirement
3. Land camera with underwater case and strobe
4. Macro capability
5. Fully automatic - some manual control as required.
6. Camera, UW Case, Strobe w/arm asembly in the range of $1,500.

If I could get the above for less... well that would be great.

Separately, without having to get to detailed with the answer, can you shead any light on the question "what is the range of the strobes" ? You know, what's the short answer for vis of say 30' and then for vis of 80'+ feet? Im trying to get that concept down.

So in short, I want an easy to use camera that doesn't take a lot of camera knowledge to take great pictures. I know there are a lot of cameras that will fit the bill but I don't have clue where to start looking or what questions to ask. I hoping some of your personal experienses and recommendation will help me decide. It's a lot of money.

Your comments and advice will really be appreciated.

Well, I'm thinking the "Camera D'jour" would be the Oly 7070. It sounds like you'd like to just take some fun images for a quick and easy dive while diving along.

You want something that you won't get bored with or outgrow and you don't want something that you have spend much, if any, time with the subject, so the Prosumer level is where I hear you are at.

With that in mind, there are many choices, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Cannon etc... My current preference would be the Oly 7070 w/Ikelite housing and whatever strobe fits. Strobes setups are expensive and the cheapest item of the whole package would be the camera... or possibly the housing if you went with the Oly UWHousing...

Most camera setups in the prosumer level and with strobe packages with TTL or whatever they happen to call it, you're probably going to be happy with.. heheh... until you out grow it, but at this level, it'll take a long time, if ever given your parameters.

There are plenty of threads asking the same question. They are all asking the pretty much the same thing... good luck and have fun with it.

Hope that helps...

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I know Olympus is a great camera. I'll start reading about it.

Thank you very much.

fpoole:
Well, I'm thinking the "Camera D'jour" would be the Oly 7070. It sounds like you'd like to just take some fun images for a quick and easy dive while diving along.

You want something that you won't get bored with or outgrow and you don't want something that you have spend much, if any, time with the subject, so the Prosumer level is where I hear you are at.

With that in mind, there are many choices, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Cannon etc... My current preference would be the Oly 7070 w/Ikelite housing and whatever strobe fits. Strobes setups are expensive and the cheapest item of the whole package would be the camera... or possibly the housing if you went with the Oly UWHousing...

Most camera setups in the prosumer level and with strobe packages with TTL or whatever they happen to call it, you're probably going to be happy with.. heheh... until you out grow it, but at this level, it'll take a long time, if ever given your parameters.

There are plenty of threads asking the same question. They are all asking the pretty much the same thing... good luck and have fun with it.

Hope that helps...

I'm thinking Fuji810 as an option - you'll have to look for one as they are hard to come by in the US, I believe.

Or the Oly 5050 - they are still around and are good workhorses.

Strobes are good to about 6 feet or so underwater. More or less. Get a strobe with manual controls - you'll be glad you did. And it's not that hard to figure out - most of your shots will likely be on one setting, but having the ability to control your light will make worlds of difference to your shots.

If you want something smaller than the Oly's look at the Canon A series. No RAW, but excellent cameras with excellent capabilities - check out LukeRob's gallery (and I think PhotoTJ shoots Canon A, too). The Canon housing is great and you can add on lenses and strobes.

Have fun shopping!

There have been a number of recent reports that, while the 7070 is a good to excellent topside camera, and a good wide angle u/w camera as well, it doesn't do so well focusing automatically on macro subjects.

Personally, having just upgraded my system from an older Oly, I looked at the 7070 and ended up with the Fuji 810. Looks like a consumer camera, acts like a prosumer, and is terrifically suited for u/w photography.

As for strobes, think 6' or less, often considerably less depending on the condition. 6' is pushing it most of the time on wide angle.

>it doesn't do so well focusing automatically on macro subjects. <

I've read the same thing (here? this board?), but looked like it just came from one source... while several others indicated there wasn't any problem, so not sure that might be the case??? The single source idicated he was going to send it for servicing to see if it was just a "Glitch"...

I'm just now hearing about the Fuji so might be a good one too... there are about 5 "spoken about mfgs" that will probably all work well... just pick up what you can dj and go with the flow... you'll probably be just fine with any of them... wouldn't discount the 7070 yet, still fairly new and people are still working things out..
Good luck..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom