Another "what should I do" thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Finally going for my IDC with UTD next month. Anyone has any advise?

get the theory down well before the idc, relax during the idc don't over stress. it's padi remember they want you to pass and get people to buy books :) and if your really a fish you have nothing to worry about :)

Don't forget to have fun!

There are probably more threads than I can count about the "how to's" of doing your IDC. But NetDoc's point is actually THE MOST IMPORTANT one!

People tend to get so tressed out & locked into tunnel vision that they forget that this is a fantastic undertaking that not everyone gets to experience. Not only do you learn some things, but you forge friendships and relationships that can last a lifetime.

Enjoy!

Study up on your theory before hand so it's less stress during and as already mentioned.....Have Fun!!

Finally completed it. I am glad to say I have absolutely zero stress during my IDC with UTD, not because I am confident or prepared, it because I have not encountered anyone who passed the IDC on their first attempt :wink:

so I just went in, and do what I am supposed to do. Got shot down by AG (my IT) more than a few times on my personal skills but he had no issues with my presentation and teaching abilities *phew*

So, I did get signed off as a UTD instructor, but only able to teach their ESM at this point. I wil, have to intern a couple of classes and brush up a little on my personal skills before I can be re-evaluated as a full fledged UTD instructor (my own interpretation, meaning being able to teach their Essentials of Recreational Diving course).

it is definitely a very inspiring, intimidating and humbling experience to be in the water with AG, with him videotaping your every moves in the water. And yes, no regrets taking their classes. And to answer s e questions on pm: do they have an elitist attitude? Not at all. Are they elite divers? You bet!

Andrew is an amazing person from whom to learn. He has an uncanny and immediate insight into whatever your weak points are. He is also about as close to a fish as a human being can be -- my favorite AG memory was when he was mentoring Faisal through his rebreather class, and we went down on a wreck. I look up and here is AG, completely vertical, in a wetsuit with bright blue free-diving fins, wearing a backplate with two AL80's hip-clipped (and no backgas) and with about 100 feet of heavy polypro line wound around his arm. I thought to myself, "Taking breathing gas underwater is just a necessary annoyance to this guy!" (Faisal is pretty much the same way.)

Back
Top Bottom