Another Utila VS Roatan thread but big animals please ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at- and thought about this thread for a day.

The premise and phrasing of the OP is a strange and somewhat strained construct considering the prior mountains of information on this subject, stuff I'm sure Captain Sinbad has read.

Wide angle shots of big critters? Unless you can change lenses from macro while underwater, I'd pass on the Bay Islands for that. There are reasons that macro (anywhere) is so popular...

1) It shows others the incredibly intricate and colorful stuff they have previously and predictably sped by

2) It is simpler to illuminate and image a macro than a wide angle critter (generally they are comparatively sedentary)

3) The incidence of macro : monster is (the biologic food chain tells us) about 1,000,000,000:1 (The direct converse of their observability factor)

4) To establish the size in perspective of a monster, a diver needs to be placed in frame. A tough thing. With macro, you can always put a finger in frame for one image, that will demonstrate relative size pretty quickly.

I have asked many shooters what and why they photograph, what their goal is... There seems to be an unstated desire to get that NatGeo level image, something that would be unique and spectacular. I suggest striving for good shots that will amaze and amuse friends back home. True enough, non-divers are most impressed by images of large critters, but how many images of a Whale Shark or a White Tip can you look at. If you show an album of Nudibranchs to any sort of real SCUBA diver, they will likely be engrossed in every image. New divers and non-divers are indeed captivated by creatures larger than a breadbox- stuff they can identify as a.... fish.

If you are looking for reef architecture and drama (dramatic drop-offs?), that would go to certain very select dive sites on Roatan. But- unless the Sun position is just right and the skies are clear and all the gods be with you... those are some unpredictable images. There are a very few spectacular bits of u/w topography on Roatan, but with such photography being easiest with lots of ambient light, it pretty well limits the easiest (most reliably lit) sites to the South side of Roatan. (The most well known being Mary's Place and Calvins Crack, but there are a few lesser known sites) For this kind of "landscape imagery", you need a lot of direct ambient light.

You seem to be arguing with your perfectly valid perceptions of what each island has to offer.

Go to Roatan, notably the South side, for the best in Macro. I have shot many many images there and in select dive sites on Utila. Big stuff and wide angles? I just don't see many of those opportunities in that locale... nothing remotely reliable.

Last edited:
another option on utila is to not stay at a dive resort or in town but head out to the southwest end of the island across from the cays and stay at one of the beautiful rental homes there. the best beaches are out that way and you can kayak to uninhabited islands and buy day boat fish from the fishermen as they return to their cays. if you like peace and quiet and want to get away from the crowds its your best bet. the area is served by utila cays diving which is utila' best reviewed dive op and if you stay at casa de playa or treasure beach they will pick you up right from your beach in their dive boat (which only holds 10 people so no cattle boat). that end of the island has miles of virtually empty beaches and coral reefs literally a few yards from shore. chez lola the best reviewed restaurant in the bay islands is also out there. if you stay in town you get lots of bars to choose from but only two small beaches and lots of noise.
my assessment of the dive resorts would be that their dive operations are comparable and all are good. utopia' plus is that it has the nicest rooms, laguna beach' plus is that it has a pool and deep blue has the most whale shark knowledgeable owner, steve fox and swin their skipper is the best.
i'm at treasure beach and we saw whale sharks four days last week (ranging in size from 12'-35') and spinner dolphins everyday, it was quite a week.

Reactions: Doc
There is no question that the micro to monster ratio favours macro, but for some of us there is a real thrill in seeing big animals. Not very many of these in Roatan diving in my limited experience in comparison to Little Cayman, Bonaire East Side or even Grand Cayman.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2014 at 05:18 PM ----------

Or in comparison to Utila North side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom