Another "Try GUE" - FREE Event - Wallins Dive Center !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude you got the best of them.

Farty did a good job summarizing. I was in the second group but it was about the same for me.

I want to thank Rob, Beto and Susan for doing a great job explaining what GUE was about. Rob was great in the pool as well. The BP/W setup was new to me and he had me going through some drills. By the end of the session I was able to back kick fairly proficiently which was something I had been struggling with for a while. He also showed me a pretty neat drill to practice my trim control which I definitely will be practicing in the pool regularly.

I had fun talking to all the instructors and getting their insights on different things from why gear is used to how the team works.

Lastly, I want to thank Kathy for taking the effort to put all this together. It really was an eye opening event. I am looking forward to taking fundies even more once I get around to changing out all my gear!

It was wonderful to see such an enthusiastic turn-out for the Wallins Try GUE Event, and fantastic that our local GUE instructors generously offered a day of their time, energy and expertise!

I’m absolutely thrilled that some of you were able to meet and dive with the amazing top-notch instructors who have done so much to accelerate my diving over the past year!

It was great to finally meet so many of you in person & I'm happy to hear that you all had a good time!!

Hope to see you around :)!

There were two groups (one at noon, one at 1:30pm). I was in the first group with 3 other want-to-know-all-about-GUE divers. We were welcome by Kathy, Susan, Robert and Beto. Yup ratio of students to instructors was 1:1

Thanks for the thanks! But I'm a long ways from being a GUE instructor :). I'm a local Fundies recreational diver who heard about GUE for the first time here on Scubaboard about 1.5 years ago. I became intrigued with the training, took GUE Fundamentals and absolutely love what I learned!

I attended the GUE event on Saturday afternoon. Thanks Kathy for setting everything up.

I was nervous. The whips and chains on the side of the pool made me wonder.

Well it was a humbling experience. I thought I had good buoyancy but found out what really good buoyancy is.

I need to do some yoga to stretch my back to get the superman position with head up. I would like to blame the surge and poor visibility on my out of control elevator buoyancy but it was in the 8-foot pool. It is amazing once you stabilize and they load you with one activity your trim and buoyancy and stability goes to @*#&.

Well I got the new guy instructor Beto. He only has a million dives and 100 years experience. I think he enjoyed watching the bouncing scuba diver going up and down. His buoyancy is so perfect that I thought of getting my knife out and vent his wing. I tried but when I reached for it my head hit the bottom of the pool. I guess Beto would have no problem pushing me off with his little finger. I think he has battery-operated propellers in his fins because he can go backwards faster than I can go forwards. It’s not fair. Whine, whine, whine.

Some of the things I learned: long body position more stable, short body position unstable. Fins are heavy for a reason, they help balance and stabilize your weight and balance, move them forward, head goes down, move back head goes up. Lungs are an incredibly important in buoyancy control. Breath air in lungs will raise and lower your head as well as raising and lowering your depth. Your head weighs a lot and if you raise your head your position will be head up move down and body position will go down. Any tension in body will effect trim. Using your wing for buoyancy is more stable than using drysuit for buoyancy. The subtleties of all these things effect buoyancy, trim, stability and movement. If you add any multitasking or in my case any tasking, things can go haywire quickly.

It is quite an art, a ballet in the water.

Beto was very nice and patient. Very patient! Some very advanced instructors have no patience with a new student but he was extremely helpful, encouraging, and patient.

Thanks Beto you’re awesome.

Boogie,

I want to thank you so much for your mini post, you made me laugh so hard I almost fell out of my seat.

It was when you spoke about poking Beto's wing and him being able to back kick faster than you can go forward.

Once again thanks for the mini humor and for the candid truth on all you learned at the event.

Mike Guerrero

Thanks to Kathy for organizing this successful event and to all of the participants who showed up. Susan, Beto and I enjoyed meeting each of you and sharing a little about GUE training and some of what the GUE community is doing in the area.

Hope to see you all out at the ocean soon.

Regards,
-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom