Another trip, another VW rental. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In all my trips, I've rented convertible bugs and in the old days jeeps from a lot of different agencies in Cozumel. Some experiences have been better than others. I learned to buy the insurance when a "mystery ding" was found in the fender of one of my rentals and I had to fork over $200 so we could catch our plane. I've also had to push start a bug one time, and a couple times I've had other serious mechanical problems like the throttle sticking.

I'm not naming companies because I understand that any place will have occasional mechanical failures when keeping a fleet of really low cost bugs. I'm just wondering what companies people are having the best luck with this year for a good price.

I'm thinking about going with Isis this time around. Has anyone rented from them or any others lately that would care to share their experience?

I am getting ready to walk out the door right now to rent a VW bug from Isis for about the 6 time. I have had issues with other companies as well, but so far Isis has been good.

I am getting ready to walk out the door right now to rent a VW bug from Isis for about the 6 time. I have had issues with other companies as well, but so far Isis has been good.
So you're renting by the day in person rather than reserving one online? They list $35 per day online including insurance. What are they charging you without reserving up front?

I have used ISIS for years and find them honest and friendly.If you just walk in for a rental they may not have one available.

I understand that and I might take my chances. I've always rented for the whole week and then often had the car sitting for some of the days without any use. I'd like to know what the walk in price per day on a VW rag top is compared to their $35 per day online reserved price?

I have walked in a couple of times and rented an extra car for a day or two and she honored the internet price.Margarita is a very nice woman and easy to deal with.

We've rented from Isis numerous times and will again.

Last week someone hit the fender of a green Beetle we'd rented and badly scratched the paint. Margarita charged me US$35 for that. I'd say that's more than fair.

I will echo what others have said about availability. We once had to go with a different company (with much crappier cars) because Margarita's cars were all booked up even 2 months ahead of time.

I have walked in a couple of times and rented an extra car for a day or two and she honored the internet price.Margarita is a very nice woman and easy to deal with.
Sounds great. It's not like I have a doctor's appointment or something else I'll miss if they don't have a VW available on any given day that we walk in. :wink:

Since we're thinking of staying close to town this time rather than at Wyndham, the only time we'll need wheels is if we decide to take a drive around the island to go to Coconuts or something. I can't really justify renting for the entire week under those circumstances, but thought it would be a good idea to know what our options are if we decide to rent on the spur of the moment on a few days that we're there.

I've heard good things about Margarita a few times on here. Must be true! :D

Does anyone know if Isis will pick up at the airport if we reserve a car? I've gone with other companies in the past because they offered that service or were located at the airport. No way am I getting screwed for the really expensive hotel transfers Lomas or whatever they're called tries to stick everyone with when booking Cozumel trips. :shocked2: We'll walk across the street and grab a cab before we pay $70 for rides to and from the the hotel.

We rented from ISIS last October. I emailed her the night before and although she did not have the color I wanted "purple", got a silver one instead. ISIS was very good to work with, even sent someone out to pick me up, then at the end have someone drop me back off at the resort. think it was 30 or 35 day for a VW, stick, no AC of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom