Another Transplant to TX...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

navy85

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently moved to the Ft Worth area and am looking forward to getting some freshwater experience. Any recommendations on LDS? I live near Keller (a bit confusing - Keller mailing address, Keller schools, in Ft Worth city limits but 15 miles from downtown). Currently PADI OW certified but would like to upgrade to AOW/equivalent with other agencies in the next year.

I've looked around the forum and it appears that becoming a bonafide Texas Swamp Diver requires a local dive - is there a particular location?

Looking forward to meeting y'all (I'm fitting in already!)

Clear Springs Scuba Park, just outside Terrell, is where we dive most around here.

http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com/

I'm hoping to dive there tomorrow morning. Feel free to join me, if you would like to try your hand at freshwater scuba. We'll see if we can't make you a Swamper...:)

navy85:
Any recommendations on LDS? I live near Keller

Welcome! There are quite a few divers in the Keller area (like me for example) You'll notice there is no shortage of LDS's in the DFW area. There is one in Keller that I got my OW/AOW at. Their website is Scuba Connections and they are near the new Keller town hall.

Keep an eye on this board. There is almost always somebody rounding up folks for some local diving.

-Frank

navy85:
I recently moved to the Ft Worth area and am looking forward to getting some freshwater experience. Any recommendations on LDS? I live near Keller (a bit confusing - Keller mailing address, Keller schools, in Ft Worth city limits but 15 miles from downtown). Currently PADI OW certified but would like to upgrade to AOW/equivalent with other agencies in the next year.

I've looked around the forum and it appears that becoming a bonafide Texas Swamp Diver requires a local dive - is there a particular location?

As far as a LDS, I go to Cuda, which is on hwy 26 just south of 820. Everyone there is like one big family.

As far as dive locations, I have checked out Athens and Clear Springs, both are good for different reasons. Haven't been to PK yet but want to check it out too.

navy85:
...Any recommendations on LDS? I live near Keller...

A big 'Howdy' to you and welcome to Keller! I'm another diver in the Keller metropolis.

As far as LDS, I took Rescue at ScubaConnections in Keller and did my OW at Atlantis Scuba in Southlake (did my AOW in the Bahamas). I had good experiences at both shops. As Frank pointed out, there are many shops in the area. You should visit a few and see which ones you like or which ones have trips to fit your schedule, etc.

I regret that I have not made it out to the lakes with other TSDs this summer. It may be another year before I can be a TSD!

- Jennifer

texasmermaid:
I regret that I have not made it out to the lakes with other TSDs this summer. It may be another year before I can be a TSD!

- Jennifer

You still have plenty of time this year. I'm diving at CSSP tomorrow, and some of us are there almost every weekend. Ya'll come out whenever you can, and keep checking the Texas Swampdivers Forum to see who's gonna be there. Navy85, welcome aboard, and hope to see you out there soon.

peter

clear springs has a normal dive season march to early december, but if you call them and tell them your coming they will let you in, but for right now my diving is on hold per the docs orders, which is getting hard as im really wanting get wet and swim with the fishes.

as for those brave souls i have been one of those in the lake in the winter in the first weekend of 2002 i was there for some DMC work and i was in the water in a 5mm and the temp was in the upper 40's (i know what was i thinking). normally after the DUI Demo in november is when the season is done for till about march/april time frame

tooth

navy85:
Thanks for all the replies.

When does diving at CSSP taper off due to winter, or are there brave souls who dive there year-round?

We dive it year around thanks to the BARE Drysuits we bought last year. CSSP also has a popular New Year's Day dive. Another local lake is Whitney. Deep, dark and smells like sulphur. Welcome to the area!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom