Another stupid knife question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

take the sheath, leave the knife.

After you arrive in Cozumel, the first thing you do is go out and have a nice steak dinner, and "borrow" the steak knife. Yes, I agree "borrow" should probably be replaced with "steal", the nicer thing to do would be to either ask if you can keep the knife, or buy a cheap one.

If you are eating at the hotel you are staying in, they might let you have the knife.

I have been diving for 14 years now and the ONLY time I have used a dive knife was back on the boat, to slice up limes for post diving beer. Seriously.... unless you are diving in a lake, with fresh-water kelp (that is monofilament from fishermen), you won't need one.

I brought a Trilobyte through the security in Frankfurt airport, and they are quite diligent there.

Yeah, I was lucky. But among all cutting tools I know, the Trilobyte is least resembling a weapon or even a cutting tool. And it works, too!

I have stated the one time I was asked that the Trilobite is a hair trimmer--it bolsters your case if you pack it in your toilitries kit with your razor and other things. Like other safety razor products, the Trilobite's design makes it perfectly fine for carryon travel. Yes, one could dissassemble it and have a blade, but that is true of any safety razor and TSA has never (to my knowledge) suggested you can't take your Mach 3 with you.

Each airport inspector interprets their individual airport’s and country’s rules and regulations differently. So what went thru yesterday might not go thru tomorrow. Even if you check your baggage in, while it is very unlikely, even there it might be “confiscated” (seen it happen before). TSA and Coz inspectors will be looking at most of the same things, but not necessarily with equal fidelity.:fishslap:

Like so many others have mentioned before if you must have a knife, buy one there. You can either try and bring it back as carry-on (Coz Inspectors might not care if it is carry on as that you are leaving their country), pack it away in checked luggage or donate it to your DM.

EMT shears are still the best way to go IMO…:grinbandit:

I really worry too much about a knife and enjoy the fantastic diving.

Cheer,

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom